Head of US Tax
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 9, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship office is in Sydney, Australia, but we've made our way from down under, to hubs in Austin and San Francisco, which are now home to our US operations. So whether you're in Texas or California, you have choice in where and how you work in each of those states. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Tax team
We want to make tax painless (our crazy big goal!). Our mission is to modernize a traditional tax cost centre into "tax-as-a-service", to 'protect and serve' the business, the needs of our employees, our investors, global Government and Tax Authorities where we operate, and ultimately the users of Canva's amazing product. Our guiding principle is to operate in a manner that reflects our core value of being a good global citizen. We want to do all this within a fun and engaging environment that promotes collaboration, forward-thinking and continuous improvement, all while making tax as painless as possible.
About the role
As Canva continues on this exciting period of growth and traverses the ever-increasing complexity of the US and international tax landscape, there is now a need to grow the tax function to include a Head of US tax. You'll have a passion for making the complex simple and deep expertise in US corporate and international income tax with extensive knowledge of taxation related to outbound investments and foreign reporting.
This role will include understanding ever-evolving and complex tax laws requiring someone who loves to continuously update their knowledge and share that knowledge with others to build up expertise within the global tax function. We want you to help develop tax knowledge at all levels and enjoy giving and receiving feedback to make a big impact.
Here is a snapshot to help you start imagining your future in this role:
Mission possible: You’ll bring an innovator’s mindset to developing and executing a strategy to monitor and manage Canva’s presence in the US to ensure its smooth global operation and truly make tax as painless as possible to support growth
Complex turned simple: You’ll be a force in Canva’s journey of adopting US GAAP and calculating and preparing accurate tax balances and disclosures
Be a force for good: You’ll become a trusted business partner, embodying our mission of “Tax as a Service” and helping play our part as good global citizens
What you'll do
- Leading a team and determining the appropriate internal/external mix of people to support US tax compliance and advisory processes/requirements.
- Developing & executing a strategy to manage US corporate and international income tax suited for a large company.
- Driving Canva's transition to US GAAP from a tax accounting perspective and delivering US tax effect accounting processes feeding into the global tax reporting framework.
- Providing expertise to global tax, corporate accounting, and leadership around key US tax compliance for Canva’s scaling business.
- Developing & maintaining strategies to manage tax law changes and communicating these changes to key stakeholders in a timely manner.
- Developing & maintaining appropriate controls and processes to facilitate accurate and timely completion and lodgement of US compliance. Continually refreshing global processes to optimize for accuracy & speed.
- Ensuring Canva is audit-ready, data is available/automated where possible and defence files are developed contemporaneously.
- Providing training and development to key stakeholders, and operating as a valued advisor to key business segments.
- Working closely with Canva’s external tax service providers on tax-related work streams.
- Championing the implementation and use of technology to make tax painless!
What we're looking for
- Proven track record of building and coaching high-performing teams.
- Expertise in US corporate and international income tax, US GAAP accounting/tax effect accounting, SOX control design, and testing.
- Extensive experience in large company processes, controls, and cadences, has developed detailed and suitable plans to assess and remediate any gaps in US tax advisory and compliance processes.
- A keen eye for detail, and a strong desire to keep learning and you enjoy upholding high standards of excellence and integrity in the services you deliver.
- You have excellent communication skills and approach tasks with a problem-solving attitude, with a constant lens of continuous improvement.
- Experience working in the tech sector or an equally fast-growing, ever-changing environment
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together a diversity of thoughts, perspectives, and expression is key to building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
At Canva we value fairness, and we strive to provide competitive, market-informed compensation whilst ensuring internal equity within the team in each region. We make hiring decisions based on your skills, experience, and our overall assessment of what we observed and learned in the hiring process. The target salary range for this position is $220,000 to $335,000. When calculating offers, we make salary decisions based on market data and candidates' skills and experience.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Health benefits plans to support you and your wellbeing
• 401(k) retirement plan with company contribution
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.