Senior Engineering Manager - Machine Learning Platform
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Wednesday, July 5, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Scaling and leading the Machine Learning Platform team to help Canva build foundational machine learning capabilities.
- Developing and delivering the long-term vision for accelerating the delivery of robust, innovative and safe machine learning.
- Planning goals and defining success metrics to ensure there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- Championing a culture of knowledge sharing and communication across engineering and effectively advocate for machine learning engineering needs to stakeholders within Canva.
- Investing in personal growth and career development of engineering talent within the group.
You're probably a match if:
- you have experience leading multiple successful teams including managing managers, guided by company or specialty missions, goals, and strategies.
- you’ve got significant experience in platform engineering, designing and building complex, distributed systems, ideally involving machine learning.
- you have first principles thinking - use deep understanding of a problem space to make informed decisions. Even if these decisions are radically different from what others might be doing, Canva is a unique company, solving unique problems and this sometimes requires us to make bold decisions.
- you have excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to break large projects down into smaller ones and deliver on them through others.
- you have proven expertise in inspiring others to achieve their full potential and enable the leaders within your organisation to build diverse, impactful teams.
About the team
Canva’s Machine Learning Platform is responsible for the delivery of Machine Learning for all of Canva, efficiently, safely, and at scale. We empower thousands of engineers and product managers to deliver amazing product features which harness the power of cutting-edge machine learning algorithms.
2023 is an incredible time to join. The problem space and industry are advancing quickly and you will have direct influence on our plans to scale machine learning experiences for over 100 million Canva customers.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.