Senior Machine Learning/Computer Vision Engineer - Photo Editing (m/f/x)
Posted on Tuesday, June 20, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but Austria is home to part of our European operations. And with that you will have choice in how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're nearby), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
Fun fact - our Austrian team actually started out as Kaleido before being acquired by us in 2021. Kaleido's product team develops visual AI products, that make complex things simple for users. Now, together we deliver visual AI features within Canva to help reimagine how artificial intelligence can be used in design. We think it's a perfect match.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
In this role, you'll be in a key position to make our ambitious goals in the AI-based photo editing space happen. By using innovative deep-learning techniques, you'll help deliver magical photo editing tools to our users, allowing them to edit the whole image or just a part of it. Talking about users: With us, you work on a huge scale. Our global design community has created more than 15 billion designs in Canva, and your work will impact the lives of more than 135 Million monthly Canva users.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team of machine learning engineers, frontend engineers, backend developers, designers, and quality assurance engineers to develop, implement, and improve Canva AI features such as Auto-Adjust, Smart Crop, Magic Eraser, and Magic Edit that will be used by more than 135 million users every month and make a global impact.
- Take ownership of the ML projects you are working on (refer to above’s list of established AI features): We have many novel products in our pipeline that we can’t write about publicly right now :-). You will collaborate with your team members in the project planning and iteration of the AI features.
- Staying updated on machine learning trends is crucial for your role. It ensures that the features we release in Canva empower users to design and edit photos using the latest technology and gives Canva an enthusiastic edge in a constantly evolving technological landscape.
- Study best practices, develop untried approaches, work on prototypes, e.g. for latent diffusion-based photo editing or for object detection and instance segmentation, and evaluate the performance.
- Experiment on large-scale cloud infrastructure (GCP and AWS) with high-end hardware, being mostly NVIDIA A10 and A100 Tensor Core GPUs.
- Analyze internal and external data sources, and generate, collect, and prepare data with commercial licensing in mind. Collaborate with our internal data generation team as well as with external partners.
- Set up data augmentation pipelines and perform hyper-parameter searches to build production-ready AI solutions that meet the quality requirements of photo editing effects in Canva.
- Implement automated testing and suitable metrics to monitor the performance of our AI features in production.
- Be part of our On-call rosters. At Canva, we believe a healthy on-call culture enables and empowers our engineers to give our users the best possible experience.
- You have a Master's (ideally Ph.D.) degree in Computer Science (or similar), focusing on machine learning. Published papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences would be a valuable addition.
- You have a solid understanding of computer vision, especially the concepts of convolutional neural networks (CNNs), transformers, generative adversarial networks, and diffusion models.
- Proficiency with the following technologies is required to be set up for success in this position: Deep learning frameworks (Pytorch gives bonus points, other frameworks like Tensorflow or JAX), Python 3, Numpy, OpenCV, Docker & Kubernetes.
- You substantially understand modern software engineering principles, Python 3 classes and inheritance, multithreading, testing, and QA to write clean code.
- You are familiar with convolutional neural networks for tasks such as image classification and segmentation: As a visual AI company, we primarily work with images and videos.
- Our projects require picking up knowledge of the state-of-the-art of a specific ML topic quickly (Example 1, Example 2) since most projects start with a phase of literature research and communicating the context to the team (across timezones).
- You have a proven sense of ownership and are eager to find and develop novel solutions to challenging problems, such as developing ML models for processing large images (having up to 24 megapixels) in a memory-efficient and runtime-efficient manner proactively.
- You are an excellent communicator and teammate, keen to work with your colleagues and brainstorm ideas together.
- To be employed by Canva for this role, you need to live and work from a country where Canva has an entity set up - you can find all our office locations here.
We are required by law to state the minimum salary for this position, which is at least EUR 60,000 gross per year. We pay competitive salaries - depending on your qualifications and experience - and you also get to participate in the company’s stock option program.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.