Indirect Tax Manager
Posted on Monday, June 19, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Making tax painless is the crazy big goal of our team! With the ever increasing complexity of the tax landscape, we are expanding our team to include a skilled Indirect Tax Manager, to manage the day-to-day operations of the indirect tax function.
You'll work closely with the global tax team, other members of the finance team, the broader business and our service providers to ensure that the Group's global indirect tax obligations are met. Whilst you will have a strong technical background, you will also have the opportunity to be highly strategic, collaborating with the global Indirect Tax Lead to design and deliver the short and long term goals for the indirect tax speciality.
We're a fast paced business so change is frequent, you'll be comfortable working in a hands-on, dynamic environment and have excellent communication and negotiation skills.
What you'll do
- Working closely with the Team Lead to design and deliver various strategic projects across the indirect tax function
- Driving all things indirect tax in Australia, APAC, Europe and all the other jurisdictions in which the Group has indirect tax obligations
- Diving into sophisticated indirect tax technical matters to develop and implement solutions for critical business needs, drafting position papers and being the key global point of contact
- Ensuring global indirect tax compliance (GST, VAT, US sales & use tax, digital services tax and others as identified) is accurate and timely lodged and audit ready
- Managing indirect tax audits and disputes for entities within the Canva Group
- Developing and providing training for the global tax team
- Taking your continuous learning style to the next level as you plunge into the ever changing indirect tax developments around the world to help identify and address impacts to Canva
We'd love it if you had
- A developed Indirect Tax skill-set, preferably from within a consulting, fast paced growing business, or in-house Tech environment
- Relevant VAT / GST experience in multiple jurisdictions, global experience / secondments beneficial
- Excellent writing skills and business acumen with problem-solving creativity and commercial judgement
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Self motivated with a desire to learn
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.