Engineering Manager (FE) - Home Foundations (AU Remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At the moment, this role is focused on
- Shaping the Canva experience for millions of users, from optimising the performance of the homepage to crafting flawless navigation experiences.
- Be the custodian of Canva’s customer portal and lay a solid foundation that empowers the entire platform.
- Collaborate with our Product Manager and Staff Engineer to build roadmaps and goals for new features.
- Communicate optimally across Canva when developing a solution; seek and incorporate diverse perspectives to address sophisticated issues.
- Take a customer-focused approach to technical leadership, working to strike a balance between company and team priorities.
- Mentor a team of engineers across Frontend and Backend to empower them to do their best work and help them grow.
You're probably a match if
- You have successful experience in a team leadership role with employees whilst being hands-on yourself.
- You are passionate about building solutions at scale and pragmatically planning what delivers the most value. Working with many different collaborators, each with their problems. Tying the short-term steps that open the long-term goals
- You have previous experience as a Software Engineer, are in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles, and are comfortable contributing to design documents and performing code reviews.
About the team
This year the Home and Content Management group is on a mission to inspire everyone to visually communicate and stay organised. Our group is doubling down on several critical initiatives to help us achieve our company-level strategy of driving teams and collaboration in Canva. We want to make Canva the tool that every team, big and small, wants to use to collaborate and communicate every day - from kindergarten to the workplace.
The Home Foundations team looks after the portal where customers start with Canva. Your frontend skills will be put to the test, building a solid foundation for Canva to build features. A wide array of challenges awaits you, ranging from platform-oriented challenges, such as optimising the first load performance of the home page, to more product-focused ones, such as crafting a seamless navigation experience.
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Software Engineer - Abbie Wade has to say about working in Engineering at Canva -
"The challenges that I am solving do not have a known solution, which means I get to create and innovate each day."
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.