Senior Software Engineer (AWS Networking)
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Are you someone who has a passion for networking and a desire to work with cutting-edge cloud technologies?
We’re looking for a person who not only follows best practice but aspires to define them too. We need you to help design, implement, automate and maintain our cloud network infrastructure so we can keep delivering secure, reliable and scalable services in the cloud for Canva.
About this role:
If a packet drops in the cloud, the Canva Cloud Network team will hear it. As Canva scales, so does its network, and we are looking for an engineer to join the team and help us on this exciting journey.
The cloud network infrastructure is the foundation that enables services and applications to be delivered to customers. It must provide the connectivity, security, and performance necessary to deliver a seamless user experience, and it’s our job to make that happen. Near-term projects include building out our multi-account capability, providing a platform for multi-region services, improving our network security controls, and implementing IPv6.
Our team is part of the wider Cloud Platform group which aims to reduce the complexity burden of using the cloud and allowing our users to get on with simply writing code to fulfill business requirements.
A typical week might include:
- Deploying network widgets in the cloud. Things like VPCs, Transit Gateways, security groups, load balancers, ACLs and NAT Gateways
- Developing and maintaining Infrastructure as Code (IaC) scripts and templates to automate cloud network infrastructure deployment and configuration management.
- Implementing network security measures to protect our data, make sure we’re compliant and keep us running.
- Creating network designs that scale alongside our crazy, big goals
- Troubleshooting why those pesky packets are running late for work or just aren’t showing up at all
- Engaging in strategic team planning exercises or participating in developing our networking vision
Some of the must have's:
- Good coding and OOP skills either with Python, Golang or Java
- Five or more (5+) years of technical experience designing, building and supporting networks, at least two of which should include large cloud footprints. We predominantly use AWS but experience with other major cloud providers definitely counts
- Two or more (2+) years of experience using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) frameworks and tools in a production environment. We use Terraform but we’re interested in your experience with other tools like Ansible, AWS CloudFormation, CDK or Pulumi
- Proficiency with networking protocols from OSI Layer 2 to Layer 7. Some of our favorite acronyms are TCP/IP, BGP, HTTP, TLS and DNS
- Familiarity with web application delivery and architecture
- Willingness to participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation (typically no more than one week in four)
- The ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Experience working in high-performing and collaborative teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
Some of the nice to have's:
- Experience with Linux networking, particularly in a Kubernetes context
- Experience with VPNs and other network overlay protocols
- Experience with network security technologies such as Firewalls/Proxies, IDS/IPS and WAF/Bot Protection
- Experience monitoring cloud networks at scale using modern observability tools like ELK, Datadog, Prometheus, Grafana or similar.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?