Frontend Engineer - Design Intelligence (Remote anywhere in ANZ)
Software Engineering, Design
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Role:
How do you teach a computer to choose fonts and colors, change a layout, or make artistic recommendations? To solve problems such as these, engineering must be tightly interwoven with a knowledge of UX and graphic design. If you’re an engineer who enjoys thinking in multiple domains, this role is for you.
We are looking for strong programming ability, creative problem solving, user empathy, and exceptional learning aptitude. Our team includes engineers with professional design experience and data scientists, but we are open to anyone naturally suited to combining engineering, product, and design.
Knowledge in such areas as machine learning, color science, data analysis, and metaheuristics are valued but not necessary.
- Primarily building web based features with Typescript, but may need to work with other languages and environments
- Collaborate with product managers, product designers, data scientists, and user researchers, while also learning/practicing your craft
- Driving projects from inception to completion
- Keeping your work aligned with real user problems and strategic technical goals
- Running quantitative and qualitative experiments with the assistance of a data analyst
- Contributing to the team’s product roadmap
- Build efficient and reusable abstractions
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- A user-centered approach to problem solving
- Strong creative problem solving with algorithms
- Able to apply both divergent and convergent thinking to open ended problems
- Strong aptitude for programming
- Knowledge of data science or analysis
- Knowledge of color science
- Experience with graphic design
- Experience with product design or user research
Recent Projects Include
- Using color science, heuristics, and constraint optimization to choose colors for vector images being added to the page
- A genetic algorithm for changing designs (ask us for details!)
- Transferring text between unrelated designs, using a random forest classifier to determine the role of text elements, and heuristics to style and reflow text
- Using clustering algorithms (e.g., mean shift, k-means) to generate color palettes and font combinations from existing designs
- A web based tool for generating multiple designs
- Algorithms for changing the layout of designs
- Secret things we can’t talk about yet!
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social area, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.
See more open positions at Canva
Something looks off?