Principal Electrical Engineer, Manufacturing
Cambridge Mobile Telematics
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) is the world’s largest telematics service provider. Its mission is to make the world’s roads and drivers safer. The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dashcams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior. Companies from personal and commercial auto insurance, automotive, rideshare, smart cities, wireless, financial services, and family safety industries use insights from CMT’s platform to power their risk assessment, safety, claims, and driver improvement programs. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in Budapest, Chennai, Seattle, Tokyo, and Zagreb, CMT serves millions of people through over 95 programs in 25 countries, including 21 of the top 25 US auto insurers.
We are looking for an engineer to join the IoT group to work with our manufacturing and production systems - responding to issues in the factory and building stronger systems. We build millions of IoT devices every year using custom manufacturing automation to test and track each device. The Principal Electrical Engineer, Manufacturing will support and sustain technical operations to facilitate efficient printed circuit board assembly and test in production, optimize existing processes, and implement both test and process changes in support of quality, yield and cost reduction improvements. In this role, you will maintain and improve the hardware that powers CMT’s high-volume IoT manufacturing systems. You will work as part of our hardware and operations groups to directly support our contract manufacturing partners, helping to troubleshoot issues and improve efficiency. Your mission will be to develop high-quality manufacturing systems that directly impact CMT’s IoT business goals.
- Provide ICT, functional and performance test engineering support to IoT Engineering and external contract manufacturer teams from new product transitions to volume manufacturing, including test station qualification/approval at the CM, initial commissioning, on-going use, debug, maintenance and calibration
- Partner with IoT Engineering to drive DFT early in the development cycle in order to formalize manufacturing test requirements for PCBAs and to ensure that test systems are aligned with the capability of the product. Optimize test solutions for efficiency, cost, and yield from NPI to product end of life
- Responsible for yield improvement for any PCBA related ICT, functional or performance tests in the manufacturing process through analysis of data from yield reports, equipment logs and product diagnostics to determine sources of yield loss
- Support and qualify hardware changes, including new components and manufacturing process changes
- Participate in engineering reviews, such as schematic, layout, and DFM, with both cross-functional teams and external engineering partners
- Develop system test plans, including test methodology and coverage to validate changes and ensure product reliability
- Create documentation such as Engineering Change Orders and general process documentation.
- Analyze PCBA process/test issue failures, perform debug processes and determine root cause as required to implement both interim containment plans and long-term corrective actions to increase PCBA performance and reliability
- Create and maintain PCBA process docs, test specs and debug procedures. Review and contribute to technical documentation (schematics, test specifications, test set layout, product testability), as required
- Complete any additional tasks that may arise
- BS in Electrical or Computer Systems Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 9+ years of direct experience in electrical hardware engineering and/or test engineering
- Subject matter expertise in manufacturing test strategy and DFT as part of new product development efforts and manufacturing transition initiatives
- Experience working with contract manufacturing partners (ODM, OEM, JDM). Knowledge of PCBA manufacturing flow (solder paste, SPI, SMT, X-Ray, AOI, etc.)
- Deep knowledge/experience of functional test HW from design, development, and validation to MP implementation
- Knowledge of the technical rigor and processes required to bring a product to market at scale.
- Experience using statistical methods and problem solving frameworks (six sigma) to facilitate root cause analysis (debug/resolve manufacturing issues)
- Proficient with database structuring and manipulation using SQL
- Basic understanding in programming techniques (e.g. C, C++, Python) and/or script writing (using Labview, Arduino, PLCs, or similar)
- Willingness to travel up to 25% to external Contract Manufacturing sites as required
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work with cross-functional engineering teams
- Ability to articulate complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience
Nice to Have:
- Lean or Six Sigma certification/training
- Experience with data visualization (Tableau)
- Experience with OnShape
- Experience with Linux
- Familiarity with IPC-A-600 and IPC/WHMA-A-620
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fair and competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, matching 401k, short-term & long-term disability and parental leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off including vacation, sick days & public holidays
- Flexible scheduling and work from home policy depending on role and responsibilities
- Feel great working to improve road safety around the world!
- Join one of our many employee resource groups including Black, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, Women, Book Club and Health & Wellness
- Extensive wellness, education and employee assistance programs
- CMT will do all that is possible to support our employees and create a positive and inclusive work environment for all!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At CMT, we are intensifying our commitment to provide opportunities and career growth to the underrepresented. We are focused on creating an inclusive work environment that encourages a diversity of background and thought to produce the best products and services within our industry.
CMT is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create an inclusive and diverse environment that enriches our employees’ lives in and outside of work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability state. CMT is headquartered in Cambridge MA. To learn more, visit www.cmtelematics.com and follow us on Twitter @cmtelematics.