Principal Embedded Software Engineer I
Cambridge Mobile Telematics
Cambridge Mobile Telematics (CMT) is the world’s largest telematics service provider. Its mission is to make the world’s roads and drivers safer. The company’s AI-driven platform, DriveWell®, gathers sensor data from millions of IoT devices — including smartphones, proprietary Tags, connected vehicles, dashcams, and third-party devices — and fuses them with contextual data to create a unified view of vehicle and driver behavior. Companies from personal and commercial auto insurance, automotive, rideshare, smart cities, wireless, financial services, and family safety industries use insights from CMT’s platform to power their risk assessment, safety, claims, and driver improvement programs. Headquartered in Cambridge, MA, with offices in Budapest, Chennai, Seattle, Tokyo, and Zagreb, CMT serves millions of people through over 95 programs in 25 countries, including 21 of the top 25 US auto insurers.
Are you an embedded systems expert looking for a challenge at the nexus of mobility, IoT, AI, and data science that will have a positive impact on people around the world? CMT’s IoT team wants to speak with you.
We are looking for an embedded software engineer to join the IoT group working on CMT’s line of IoT sensors As a Principal Embedded Software Engineer you will be working on range of engineering challenges, including BLE, WiFi and LTE connectivity, GNSS systems, accelerometers, impact sensing, video acquisition, audio, computer vision, machine learning, real-time communication, security and over-the-air firmware upgrades.
- Working cross functionally with colleagues in the hardware, firmware, and cloud groups as we build new features and new products together
- Participate in the entire design process as our software group negotiates with product managers and hardware engineers to find the sweet spot between what’s technically feasible and what our customers want
- Provide guidance on software architecture
- Writing code and deploying tests
- Mentoring more junior engineers
- Measuring key metrics such as LTE data usage
- Helping to keep the codebase healthy in the face of increasing complexity
- Complete any additional tasks as they arise
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of experience and/or certification
- 7+ years of relevant working experience
- Professional experience with embedded Linux and microcontroller systems
- Fluency in C, C++, and Python programming
- Experience with Linux system software issues – e.g., race conditions, memory management
- Experience working at the boundary of hardware and software – e.g., interrupt handling, device driver development, bringing up untested hardware, power management
- Comfortable with git and other tools of the trade
- Track record of writing clean, readable, testable code
- Familiarity with AWS
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
- Ability to tackle complex problems independently
- Be nice. We’re nice, and like working with nice people.
- Have a “leave things better than you found them” philosophy. For example: If you’re adding a new feature and discover that it would be cleaner to refactor some code first, do the refactor
- Good engineering taste: for example, finding the right balance of spending time on code health vs. making forward progress on new features in the face of deadline pressure
- Willingness to roll up your sleeves and get the job done
- Passion for learning
- Experience building firmware images using Yocto Project
- Past experience with bare-metal programming on ARM Cortex M CPUs
- Experience with video encoding
- Experience with IoT CV models
- Know your way around an oscilloscope and how to read a hardware schematic
- Experience with wireless tech, including Bluetooth, WiFi and LTE
- IoT domain experience
- Knowledge of networking, messaging protocols, and end-to-end encryption
- Experience with low-power design and power budget management
- Experience building and running tests in CI environments, including running tests automatically on real hardware
- Experience instrumenting systems for performance measurement: e.g., are any of these interrupt or event handlers too slow?
Compensation and Benefits:
- Fair and competitive salary based on skills and experience
- Equity in the form of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, matching 401k, short-term & long-term disability and parental leave
- Unlimited Paid Time Off including vacation, sick days & public holidays
- Flexible scheduling and work from home policy depending on role and responsibilities
- Feel great working to improve road safety around the world!
- Join one of our many employee resource groups including Black, AAPI, LGBTQIA+, Women, Book Club and Health & Wellness
- Extensive wellness, education and employee assistance programs
- CMT will do all that is possible to support our employees and create a positive and inclusive work environment for all!
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion:
At CMT, we are intensifying our commitment to provide opportunities and career growth to the underrepresented. We are focused on creating an inclusive work environment that encourages a diversity of background and thought to produce the best products and services within our industry.
CMT is an equal opportunity employer and strives to create an inclusive and diverse environment that enriches our employees’ lives in and outside of work. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability state. CMT is headquartered in Cambridge MA. To learn more, visit www.cmtelematics.com and follow us on Twitter @cmtelematics.