Senior Staff Software Engineer (Rails)
Bustle Digital Group
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
BDG Media is the company behind Bustle, Nylon, W, Elite Daily, Input, Inverse, Mic, Romper, The Zoe Report, and more. We’re a hybrid company headquartered in New York City with a technology driven strategy. We have an engineering A-Team who pridefully crafts and takes ownership of the software we develop. This includes:
Content Management System: A multi-tenant CMS that runs all of our websites and is the foundation of how we scale our entirely human, full-time and US based editorial staff.
Enterprise Resource Planning System: Our internal systems are as impressive as our external ones. To survive in Media and scale nine-figures in revenue without waste you have to innovate.
Design & Product Development: We know our business, we’ve dialed in our devops and platform, and we have the audience. We’re focused on shipping quality strategy backed product & software.
Data & Business Intelligence: Think petabyte scale. We’ve got cutting edge data pipeline infrastructure and easy to learn conventions for using it.
Senior Staff Software Engineer (Rails)
BDG Media is seeking a Senior Staff Software Engineer with expertise in Ruby on Rails to lead, architect and build our Enterprise Resource Planning software, a key driver in automating and optimizing our internal operations and finance and delivering hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue annually.
As the ideal candidate, you possess a forward-thinking mindset coupled with a hands-on approach, demonstrating strong ownership and a commitment to delivering impactful results.
In this role, you will engage actively in the entire product lifecycle of our enterprise software - from the initial ideation phase through building, deployment, and ongoing enhancement and evolution. This process will involve close collaboration with various stakeholders, including planning, sales, ad ops, and marketing, to ensure that the system aligns perfectly with the operational and financial objectives of the company. Your role is crucial in transforming stakeholder requirements into functional, efficient, and user-friendly solutions.
- Lead the architecture and development of our Rails-based internal Enterprise Resource Planning software, a cornerstone in our business infrastructure.
- Collaborate with peers to build systems that are modern, intuitive, responsive, and visually appealing.
- Participate in the entire product lifecycle, from concept to deployment, and ongoing enhancement.
- Implement new functionalities while improving and refactoring existing code.
- Drive architectural and solution design discussions, ensuring our infrastructure is efficient, fault-tolerant, and maintainable.
- Work closely with a variety of stakeholders, including teams from planning, sales, ad ops, and marketing, to ensure the software aligns with the company's operational and financial goals.
- Transform stakeholder requirements into functional, efficient, and user-friendly solutions.
- Minimum 5 years of software engineering experience, with a strong focus on Rails.
- Demonstrated experience in building and scaling complex applications.
- Proficient in designing robust and scalable database schemas and applications.
- Adept at making strategic decisions that align with company goals and software development.
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Well-versed in software engineering best practices and industry standards.
- Excellent ability to collaborate effectively with various teams, including non-technical stakeholders.
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.