Style Editor, NYLON
Bustle Digital Group
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 14, 2023
Bustle Digital Group (“BDG”) is seeking a Style Editor to help develop and oversee the site's fashion and lifestyle coverage.
The Style Editor will work closely with the Culture Editor to shape coverage, and will be responsible for assigning, editing, and writing news, service, and feature articles that appeal to NYLON’s audience via search and social platforms.
The ideal candidate has strong knowledge of and interest in pop and internet culture (and how they intersect with entertainment, fashion, and beauty), the ability to push stories forward with original reporting and thoughtful angles, a knack for discovering up-and-coming talent and trends, and an eye toward story optimization and performance. This person will manage and edit writers, and will also be responsible for writing and conducting interviews for NYLON franchises and features.
Candidates should have a desire to make NYLON the first and only destination for millennials and Gen-Z readers who want to know about the next big thing whether it be an internet meme or the next big star in Hollywood. An interest in and experience with securing exclusive interviews; networking, nurturing and maintaining strong industry contacts; and a desire to produce creative and impactful content is a must. NYLON’s culture coverage is inclusive, informative, and cutting edge.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement between BDG Media, Inc. and the Writers Guild of America East.
- Work closely with the Editor-In-Chief and Managing Editor to set the tone, voice, and mission of the NYLON Style Section through daily and longer-lead story assignments.
- Work closely with the other editors to ensure all major pop culture moments are appropriately covered on-site.
- Work with part-time writers to assign and edit daily style stories for publish, in order to meet weekly goals
- Attend relevant events, with an eye for on-site or social coverage opportunities
- Keep a close eye on developing internet trends and viral moments
- Pitch and execute tent-pole moments and packages for the site
- Expand NYLON’s lifestyle coverage even further by identifying topics ripe for further coverage opportunity
- Collaborate on entertainment coverage for awards season, major red carpet events, music festivals, film festivals
- Maintain a style calendar of live red carpet events and share with the team (Awards Season, Met Gala, VMAs, etc.)
- Use analytics tools to regularly monitor and optimize story and section performance, and develop and adjust strategy accordingly
- Work closely with team members on ideation, site direction, and content package execution
- 3-5 years editing or writing experience in (ideally) digital media
- Familiarity with best practices for search and social
- A strong news sense and ability to identify which trending stories should be covered daily on the site
- Ability to write and edit fast, without compromising factual information or brand integrity
- Industry contacts in New York and abroad
- Comfort networking and attending events on behalf of the brand
- A sense of fun, urgency, and a can-do attitude
- Relationships with freelance writers
- Ability to forecast styles trends and cover them before they hit the mainstream
BDG is one of today’s leading global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture through its authentic and trusted storytelling. Audiences turn to our brands – Bustle, Elite Daily, The Zoe Report, NYLON, Inverse, Mic, W, Romper, Scary Mommy, Fatherly, and The Dad – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the interests engaging the next generation. Founded in 2013, the Company reaches over 223 million readers and social fans and serves hundreds of the world's largest advertisers. BDG has global offices in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, London, and Paris.