Manager, Software Engineering
We are seeking a dynamic, influential and hands-on technical leader to run our Video-on-Demand team, also known as the Delivery Team. Brightcove Delivery provides an unmatched VOD streaming experience for any scale — from corporate training videos to streaming services around the globe.
- Lead, inspire and motivate a UK-based team of 4-6 back-end software engineers focused on video content delivery.
- Lead and deliver key engineering initiatives while balancing the needs for operating and maintaining existing systems.
- Manage the COGS for the services while maintaining high quality of service.
- Hire and mentor world-class engineers, continuously coaching and motivating them to reach their greatest potential.
- Identify and implement development process and methodology improvements to increase the quality of work products and how work is getting done.
- Work with Product Management to contribute to the strategic direction of the products and roadmaps. Question priorities provided and push for engineering-led initiatives for sustaining engineering, security, tech debt and innovation.
- Lead technical discussions and provide input on designs, focusing on how strategic decisions might influence design long-term.
- Stay abreast of industry trends in video content delivery.
- 5+ years of hands-on software engineering and architecture experience.
- 2+ years of software engineering people management experience.
- Video streaming experience strongly preferred.
- Experience with AWS strongly preferred, including Elasticache, DynamoDB, CloudFront, RDS, Athena and Kubernetes
- Familiar with CDNs and high availability services
- Very collaborative within and across teams with a positive attitude and high accountability
- Passion for coaching and developing others, providing continuous feedback and recognizing positive behaviors and achievements along the way.
- Excellent communication skills - both written and verbal
- Ability to present highly technical topics in a way that is digestible and easy to understand; ability to influence and engage others
- Understand video content delivery, including CDN operations, codecs, and digital rights management and stay abreast of industry trends.
- Understanding of the full software delivery lifecycle, from conceptualization through delivery and all steps in between.
- Experience with agile methodologies.
- Understanding of building, delivering and operating internet scale, distributed, high availability systems.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and market conditions.
Brightcove is a diverse, global team of smart, passionate people who are revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video. We’re hyped up about storytelling, and about helping organizations reach their audiences in bold and innovative ways. When video is done right, it can have a powerful and lasting effect. Hearts open. Minds change.
Since 2004, Brightcove has been supporting customers that are some of the largest media companies, enterprises, events, and non-profit organizations in the world. There are over 600 Brightcovers globally, each of us representing our unique talents and we have built a culture that values authenticity, individual empowerment, excellence and collaboration. This culture enables us to harness the incredible power of video and create an environment where you will want to grow, stay and thrive. Bottom line: We take our video seriously, and we take great pride in doing it as #oneteam.
WORKING AT BRIGHTCOVE
We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can do their best work and be their best selves. This includes a focus on our employees’ work experience, actively creating a culture where inclusion and growth are at the center, and hiring, recognizing, promoting employees who are committed to living and breathing these same ideals. We value collaboration, creativity, work/life balance, professional growth and creating an empowering space for open communication. Whether you’re in one of our offices around the world or working remotely you have plenty of opportunities to meet colleagues and celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including an Employee Action Committee, Women of Brightcove, Pride of Brightcove, Parents of Brightcove … and more to come!