Delivering video and audio to hundreds of millions of users globally is no small feat, and we’re looking for a seasoned engineering leader to help grow that by an order of magnitude.
The VP, Engineering position will be responsible for enabling our vision to become the leading unified solution for video streaming by, strengthening architecture, driving innovation, establishing and promoting technology standards, and removing roadblocks that can impact engineering quality and velocity. This individual will oversee Engineers across the world within our Platform services teams, rapidly innovate solutions and processes, and create strong bonds between Engineering and Product organizations that foster improved business outcomes and unparalleled video experiences for our customers.
The purpose of this role will be to lead and execute the design and development of key products and services that make up Brightcove's world class video platform. This leader will also be tasked with assessing the current engineering landscape, best practices, and processes and ways of working, developing a long-term vision and plans to execute on that vision. This includes, continuing to build a sustainable blueprint for technology and architecture; focusing on operational excellence, innovation, process improvement. The successful candidate will have expertise in disciplines such as, native cloud (SaaS) application development, systems architecture, data, testing, devops and security. In addition, experience within the video and/or media industry is strongly desired.
- Build, lead and inspire a global team of engineers and architects responsible for delivering best-in-class cloud based video solutions
- Lead the efforts to design, implement, and govern both media and enterprise engineering solutions
- Develop and execute the long term engineering vision and accompanying roadmap in close collaboration with Product Management
- Translate engineering vision into actionable plans with clear and measurable goals that are aligned to organizational objectives
- Direct the execution of the engineering team and proactively remove obstacles so teams and leaders are more effective
- Introduce new deployment practices and improve agile development practices
- Influence architecture, development and drive key technology decisions
- Cultivate a culture of urgency without emergency, emphasizing smart innovation of practices and processes and bring a relentless focus on delivering high quality and value for our customers
- Be a thought leader in the community and industry, building formal and informal relationship networks inside and outside the organization
- Optimize team performance by creating an inclusive environment that values psychological safety and motivates everyone to do their best work
- Interpret and apply understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions. Planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational goals.
- Bring a consultative approach in providing domain expertise around video streaming technology, and promote Brightcove’s products with customers, prospects and partners
- Drive integration strategies, enterprise architectures, platforms, and application infrastructure required to implement a complete solution
- Travel to customer sites, conferences, and other related events as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience required. A Master's degree or MBA is a plus.
- 12+ years of experience as an architect and engineering leader in a B2B, SaaS environment
- 6+ years of people management experience across multiple teams, geographies, and leaders
- Proven ability to build engaged, high–performing teams that thrive in fast-paced global environments
- Extensive knowledge of agile methodologies, continuous integration/delivery, automated end-to-end testing practices and well versed in modern architecture
- Expertise in cloud based systems and products (e.g., applications, infrastructure, storage, platforms, data and security), and deep understanding of market trends and emerging technologies.
- Experience with multi-tenant SaaS solutions, hybrid cloud deployments, and on-premise-to-cloud migration deployments
- Results driven with an unwavering commitment to quality
- Passion for wowing and delighting customers and stakeholders
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with executive presence; ability to influence, educate and inspire others
- Comfortable with managing multiple work streams, coordinating resources and prioritizing work across teams
- Collaborative “One Team” Mindset - focus on building trust and respect that goes beyond organizational boundaries
- Roll Up Your Sleeves Attitude - willingness to support day to day operations
- Strategic Thinker - ability to see and think ahead to future possibilities and translate into breakthrough strategies
Brightcove is a diverse, global team of smart, passionate people who are revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video. We’re hyped up about storytelling, and about helping organizations reach their audiences in bold and innovative ways. When video is done right, it can have a powerful and lasting effect. Hearts open. Minds change.
Since 2004, Brightcove has been supporting customers that are some of the largest media companies, enterprises, events, and non-profit organizations in the world. There are over 600 Brightcovers globally, each of us representing our unique talents and we have built a culture that values authenticity, individual empowerment, excellence and collaboration. This culture enables us to harness the incredible power of video and create an environment where you will want to grow, stay and thrive. Bottom line: We take our video seriously, and we take great pride in doing it as #oneteam.
WORKING AT BRIGHTCOVE
We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can do their best work and be their best selves. This includes a focus on our employees’ work experience, actively creating a culture where inclusion and growth are at the center, and hiring, recognizing, promoting employees who are committed to living and breathing these same ideals.
While remote work arrangements are available for most positions we also offer hybrid or on-site working options in our Boston office, located in beautiful Fort Point harbor. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia, ping pong tournaments, and events and celebrations of all kinds. You will have plenty of opportunities to meet your colleagues around the globe as we also celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including an Employee Action Committee, Women of Brightcove, Pride of Brightcove, Parents of Brightcove … and more!
At Brightcove, we believe that providing comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits packages across the globe are essential to our employees. Base salary is just one component of Brightcove’s total rewards program. We offer a wide range of benefits and perks that may include bonus or commission, Brightcove stock, unlimited paid time off, 401(K) matching, health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), generous employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions, tuition reimbursement, 100% paid parental leave and more.