Senior Staff Data Engineer
Data, and how they are used, play a central role at Brightcove and are at the heart of how we make business, product, marketing, and operational decisions. Our centralized Data organization (Analytics, Data Science, and Data Engineering) is a specialized, cross-functional group that collaborates with a variety of departments to drive decisions and provide direction for future growth at Brightcove. The Data Engineering team designs, develops and operates big data services and tools to provide reporting and analytics for our customers and for the business from concept to delivery. We do this on a massive scale, capturing billions of events a day from our video players across the globe. Our team is responsible for deploying to production while delivering differentiated value to our customers. We embrace a variety of current technologies and tools for developing, testing, deploying and monitoring our cloud-based offerings. We are looking for an exceptional Sr. Staff Data Engineer to help build our data platform to scale the business and enable our Analytics and Data organization in solving those challenges.
- Proactively drive innovation in big data and the execution of our data engineering and data warehouse frameworks and services
- Build world class data infrastructure, APIs, and datasets to support delivery and continuous improvement of Brightcove’s video, ad, and recommendation solutions.
- Understand and translate business needs into data models to support long-term, scalable, and reliable solutions
- Create logical and physical data models using best practices to ensure high data quality and reduced redundancy
- Drive data quality across the organization; develop best practices for standard naming conventions and coding practices to ensure consistency of data models and tracking
- Define and manage SLA’s for data sets and processes running in production
- Continuously improve our data infrastructure and stay ahead of technology
- Design a system for data backup in case of system failure
- Build strong cross-functional partnerships with Data Scientists, Analysts, Product Managers, Software Engineers, Customer Support, Finance, Marketers, Account Management to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Provide technical thought leadership to the team and organization
- Help mentor and manage junior engineers
- 10+ years of development experience in Data Engineering and Data Warehousing
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field, e.g. Computer Science, Math, Physics
- Experience scaling data environments with distributed/RT systems and self-serve visualization environments
- Advanced proficiency with SQL, Perl, Python, Postgres, REST/GraphQL
- Experience designing and implementing cloud based and SaaS data warehouse (e.g. AWS, GCP, NoSQL) and developing ETL/ELT pipelines
- Experience integrating and building data platform in support of BI, Analytics, Data Science, and real-time applications
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to initiate and drive projects proactively and accurately
- Experience with containers and container-based deployment, preferably Kubernetes
- Experience working with version control, continuous deployment and performance monitoring tools, such as Git, TeamCity, Jenkins, SumoLogic, DataDog, and CloudHealth
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Experience with ad sell-side providers and video/media processing across OTT, Live, and Video on Demand platforms is highly desired
Brightcove is a diverse, global team of smart, passionate people who are revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video. We’re hyped up about storytelling, and about helping organizations reach their audiences in bold and innovative ways. When video is done right, it can have a powerful and lasting effect. Hearts open. Minds change.
Since 2004, Brightcove has been supporting customers that are some of the largest media companies, enterprises, events, and non-profit organizations in the world. There are over 600 Brightcovers globally, each of us representing our unique talents and we have built a culture that values authenticity, individual empowerment, excellence and collaboration. This culture enables us to harness the incredible power of video and create an environment where you will want to grow, stay and thrive. Bottom line: We take our video seriously, and we take great pride in doing it as #oneteam.
WORKING AT BRIGHTCOVE
We strive to provide our employees with an environment where they can do their best work and be their best selves. This includes a focus on our employees’ work experience, actively creating a culture where inclusion and growth are at the center, and hiring, recognizing, promoting employees who are committed to living and breathing these same ideals.
While remote work arrangements are available for most positions we also offer hybrid or on-site working options in our Boston office, located in beautiful Fort Point harbor. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia, ping pong tournaments, and events and celebrations of all kinds. You will have plenty of opportunities to meet your colleagues around the globe as we also celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including an Employee Action Committee, Women of Brightcove, Pride of Brightcove, Parents of Brightcove … and more!
The base salary range listed is across locations in the US. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to an applicant's experience, specialized skills, internal alignment and an applicant's work location.
At Brightcove, we believe that providing comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits packages across the globe are essential to our employees. Base salary is just one component of Brightcove’s total rewards program. We offer a wide range of benefits and perks that may include bonus or commission, Brightcove stock, unlimited paid time off, 401(K) matching, generous employer Health Savings Account (HSA) contributions, tuition reimbursement, 100% paid parental leave and more.