R&D Specialist - Strawberries
Kearny, NJ, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2023
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out our podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke) - https://spoti.fi/3ToY3Mm
About The Role:
We are seeking a passionate and committed R&D Specialist to join the R&D Farm Operations team. The R&D Specialist will be responsible for the execution of strawberry farming and related tasks in the R&D farms. With the goal of operational excellence, the R&D Specialist will work with supervisors, team leads, and scientists to execute the day-to-day operations of the R&D farms, including seeding, transplanting, data collection, irrigation, and harvesting. They will also work to collect specialized R&D data, crop measurements, and recipe configurations, partnering with the R&D experiment coordinator, R&D team leads, and scientists on experiment design, execution, crop monitoring, and on continuous improvement projects.
What You'll Do:
- Execute strawberry farming tasks
- Set up and maintain strawberry production systems
- Assist breakdown of production growing rooms by maintaining trays, reservoirs, pipes, and rafts
- Plant, harvest, and pack our crops to get ready for customer shipment
- Keep the farm, farm equipment, and work areas clean and organized using the 5S methodology
- Be a leader when it comes to using personal protective equipment (PPE) and adhering to workforce safety and food safety practices
- Collection of compliance data
- Plant Culture - work involved in planting, transplanting, irrigation, pollination, harvesting, plant maintenance, and shelf life data
Who You Are:
- You have strong attention to detail
- You have the ability to work independently in a highly collaborative team environment
- You possess a high level of ownership of the strawberry farming operations
- You're driven by innovation and continuous improvement
- You have the ability to work full time (average 40 hours per week) on a rotating shift schedule
Who We Are:
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included, and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists, and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Benefits and Perks:
- Free benefits from Day 1 for employees (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Heavily subsidized benefits for your family from Day 1
- 16 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents (full-time employees)
- Competitive vacation and sick time off
- 401K & company stock options
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short and Long Term Disability
- Free Mental Health Resources and Wellness Benefits, including Spring Health (personalized quality therapy and psychiatry for mental health needs), Headspace (unlimited access to guided meditation sessions, and Carrot (family forming support)
- Uniforms and PPE provided by Bowery
- Free leafy greens & more…
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be $18.00/hour. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make a leveling assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate that with you.
Bowery is an equal-opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally-grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.
See more open positions at Bowery Farming
Something looks off?