Senior Director of Data & AI
Software Engineering, Sales & Business Development, Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
At Bowery, we’re making wildly delicious food more accessible to everyone. Driven by our proprietary end-to-end technology, our farms are transforming the entire fresh food supply chain to be simpler, safer, and vastly more sustainable.
We have 5 farms in operation (including state-of-the-art R&D and innovation farms) and we’re just getting started. We’re backed by tech and agriculture industry leaders with $647M in equity and debt capital, and our products are sold in over 1,400 locations.
Working at Bowery is more than just a job. It’s a chance to make a global impact with first-of-its-kind technology and ridiculously good food. We’re always looking for passionate minds to grow (and eat) with us! Ready to make a real difference? Join us. We’d love to have you here.
P.s. Check out The Roots: Bowery Farming's People Podcast for all things Bowery culture, teams, leadership, and karaoke (yes, karaoke)
About The Role:
We are seeking an experienced Director of Data & AI who will continue to build, lead, and develop a team of Data Scientists and Analytics Engineers. As the Director of Data & AI at Bowery, you will play a crucial role in driving the automation of agricultural and operational functions in our network of indoor vertical farms. The Data & AI function is at the core of our company's vision and daily operations.
In this role, you will lead a team of Data Scientists and Analysts who collaborate to develop data-driven solutions. Our technology products are essential to how we operate and improve, with focus areas in Agriculture, Automation, Commercial, Core IoT Infrastructure, and Work Management. You will work cross-functionally with teams involving agricultural science and operation, farm development, design, supply chain, commercial, robotics, and finance.
At Bowery, our proprietary software system, BoweryOS, leverages vision systems, automation technology, Internet of Things (IoT), and machine learning to optimize plant growth and distribution, providing value to our customers. This role is based at our NYC headquarters, and we follow a hybrid working model.
What You'll Do:
- Lead, recruit, and nurture a talented team of Data scientists, fostering cross-functional collaboration with Engineering, Farm Operations, Agricultural Science, Marketing, Finance, and Sales to advance indoor farming
- Foster innovation by designing experimental frameworks that ensure data integrity and enable efficient analysis and action based on new trial data
- Collaborate closely with various departments and levels to align strategies with the company's current and future priorities, effectively communicate and evangelize the strategies
- Analyze historical data related to crop growth and environmental characteristics to forecast yields for future harvests and uncover insights for optimizing growing conditions
- Partner with the technology development team, spanning software, hardware, IoT, robotics, and product, to shape the work of the data science team and make key decisions about research, building solutions, and selecting tools
Who You Are
- Experienced in leading and scaling a Data & AI team in complex and matrixed environments
- Hands-on experience in AI, ML, computer vision, data science, data analytics, and basic software
- Possess strong analytical and quantitative skills, leveraging data and metrics to develop informed business cases.
- Excellent communicator and listener, with a strategic mindset for both technical and Bowery-specific considerations.
- Strong people management, coaching, and mentoring skills, with a focus on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in hiring and retention.
- Collaborative mindset, working with internal and external teams to build better solutions.
- Familiarity with building scalable product management processes.
- Thrive in a startup environment with a high sense of urgency, ambiguity, and strong decision-making skills.
- Believe in the success and safety of the team, taking responsibility for ensuring their well-being.
- You have a background in probability, statistics, and optimization algorithms.
- You’ve got experience deploying machine learning models to production to make real decisions, then measuring the impact of these decisions.
- You have a deep understanding of and have applied various machine learning techniques for solving real-world problems.
- You are familiar with Python and enjoy building software the team can depend on.
- You are familiar with SQL and can guide team members to integrate solutions with our data ecosystem.
- You are energized by translating business, operations, and agricultural questions into data science problems, solving those problems, and interpreting the output back into clear outcomes.
Who We Are
- Bowery is a place where everyone is welcome, included and empowered to reach their full potential
- We live our shared values every day in both big and small ways: opt-in, think wildly different, break barriers together & be kind to the core
- We are a mission-driven team of unconventional thinkers, problem-solvers, optimists and activators
- We share a passion for giving back more to the planet than we take, growing deliciously abundant food without abundant harm
- We are excited to hear from you!
Benefits as Good as Our Greens
- To support you and your family, we offer health, dental, and vision insurance; mental health resources; family forming support; long-term and short-term disability insurance; FSA; HSA and commuter benefits
- Company stock options so that you can reap the benefits of every Bowery win
- 401k Program
- The more balance, the better. We offer unlimited paid vacation, paid holiday - plus 16 weeks of paid parental leave so you can focus on what matters most
- From internal mobility to a mentorship program and curated L&D initiatives, we are fully invested in your growth
Our commitment to eliminating bias and ensuring pay equity goes beyond pay transparency. Click here (https://bit.ly/3CUwuUY) to learn more about how compensation works at Bowery, how we came up with the salary on this job posting, and what we’re doing to ensure your compensation is internally and externally equitable.
The salary for this role will be $245,000. If this role is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply no matter what so we can see your profile and background. You can trust us to make a leveling assessment based on your unique skills and experience and communicate that with you.
Bowery is an equal opportunity employer - a place that celebrates unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures that will enrich the workplace. We are attempting to redefine what a sustainable agricultural supply chain can look like. We cannot achieve this mission without a team that reflects the diversity of people who want fresh, locally grown food in regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, age, national origin, religion, family status, disability, military status, and experience. We strongly encourage people from marginalized communities to apply to join our team.