AP & AR Manager
Bloom & Wild
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Hi, we’re Bloom & Wild. We don’t just send flowers. We help our customers to care wildly. Caring wildly is celebrating the little things we all do for each other every day. Not just the big occasions. It’s being there for the highs. Stepping up for the lows.
Care has been at the heart of our business from the start. From the products we source, and the packaging we send them in, to the way we look after our colleagues, our customers, our planet, and the communities around us.
Founded in 2013, our mission back then was to make sending and receiving flowers the joy that it should be, by harnessing technology, brand and letterbox delivery. We announced £75 million Series D funding in 2021 and that same year acquired bloomon in The Netherlands and Bergamotte in France. Together, we’ve fulfilled and delivered over 20 million orders (and counting!), making us the largest direct to consumer flower business in Europe.
Now home to a family of 3 beautiful brands, we’re driven by our vision to create the destination for making life a little more thoughtful and beautiful. And we won't stop at flowers and plants. Starting with the Bloom & Wild brand, we're expanding our gifting offering to other categories like cakes, candles and cocktails. This is all part of our ambition to build Europe's #1 direct to consumer gifting destination.
🛠️ Finance at Bloom & Wild
We care about our financial wellbeing and collaborate across the whole business to support them in doing what they do best - inspiring our customers to brighten lives and homes. Led by Sophia, our VP of Finance, we’re organised across three core teams and based in the UK, the Netherlands and France.
Financial Control & Reporting - we look after all of the reporting for Bloom & Wild Group, which includes the compilation of our month-end reporting, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Financial Planning & Analysis - we manage the financial budgeting and forecasting process with collaboration across teams. Analysing financial performance and building financial models to help other areas of the business on a variety of projects and initiatives.
Finance Operations & Compliance - we perform the majority of group functions across each of our locations, think: PSP and treasury management, controls and compliance, and all things tax. We are also there to spearhead process improvements or transformational projects.
💻 What you’ll be doing
Leading our AP & AR team of 4, you’ll be responsible for invoices and expenses across all 3 of our brands. We work with 3 main systems (Kefron, Netsuite and Spendesk) to ensure smooth and timely processing of invoices and expenses and also support our accountants with month end activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Overseeing daily AP/AR activities to ensure that they are completed accurately and timely
- Ultimate ownership of weekly AP/AR reporting to senior management, including review of the numbers compiled by team members
- Ownership of organising the resolution of queries from the business within the official finance request channels
- Leading Accounts Payable Month End closing processes
- Preparation of Month End Accounts Payable accruals to be recorded
- Monthly reconciliation of Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable balance sheet accounts
- Reconciliation of supplier accounts and supporting the team with investigating any discrepancies
- Management of Accounts Receivable balances and ensuring timely receipt of outstanding balances
- Supporting the team with any questions they have and ensuring all team members are engaged and clear on their responsibilities
- Preparation of adhoc bank payments as required
- Assisting with bank reconciliations as required
- Continual review, management and improvement of AP and AR controls to increase accuracy and efficiency
- Optimising or replacing current Accounts Payable tool
✅ You’ll love this role if you have…
- 4-5 years' AP & AR experience, which includes working with multiple currencies and legal entities
- Experience implementing AP tools from scratch
- Knowledge of Netsuite, Kefron and Spendesk would be a bonus!
- Experienced manager of teams and you genuinely love delivering through others. You’re comfortable guiding, evaluating and flexing your style to get the best from those around you
- Strong excel skills
- You’re enthusiastic, passionate and keen to deliver impactful results
- You have collaborative style that enables you to work with a range of different people and teams
- You’re organised and take a thoughtful approach to planning and prioritising your work
- Proactive and comfortable taking ownership of significant areas of work
- Excited about problem-solving, and love to take a logical and collaborative approach to finding solutions
These are some of the skills and experience we think will enable success in this role, but please don’t worry if you are missing some of these. We’re committed to building a team made up of different strengths, skills and experiences, so if you’re excited about our values, passionate about what you do and would like to join us in doing things more thoughtfully, we’d love to hear from you.
🧭 Our ways of working
We do things a little bit differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. We’re big on collaboration, empathy, knowledge sharing and growth, and our values drive our priorities every day:
Lead change for good: we have the guts to try new things and step up to do what matters most
Think deeply, act swiftly: we make sure there’s thoughtful rationale behind our approach and always act swiftly to implement ideas
Care wildly: we pour care and creativity into everything we do and pay attention to the things that make a difference
Stay open, be curious: we’re open about what we’re doing and why, and we welcome challenges from each other
We really believe in the power of face-to-face connections - be that through a shared project, a learning and development opportunity, or an after work social - and trust our teams to make the right decisions (for them and us) about where and how they work each day. Our working patterns are flexible and vary across the business, depending on the type of work, need for collaboration, and personal and wellbeing circumstances.
🏡 Belonging @ Bloom & Wild
We know that we learn through our differences, and building a diverse team has always been central to creating the best experience for our customers. We value all backgrounds, perspectives, ideas and experiences, and encourage everyone to share their opinions openly within our caring and inclusive team.
🌟 (Some of) The good stuff
To care wildly for our customers, firstly we care wildly for our teams. We work hard to craft a culture of thoughtfulness and care, where there is a strong sense of inclusion and belonging, enabling all of our people to thrive and be successful each day.
🌻 Work that works for you
- Flexible working : our core hours are 10-4, but outside of these hours you can start or finish your day when works best for you
- Work Abroad for up to 30 days each year
- Share in our success with a choice to take equity options from day 1
- Enhanced family leave policy and a workplace nursery scheme
- 1 day per year to volunteer on a project that’s close to your heart
🌴 Time off
- 25 days’ holiday + your birthday and bank holidays each year
- Option to buy an extra 5 days’ holiday each year
- Flexible bank holidays - trade a bank holiday for another day that fits your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
🌱 Health & Wellbeing
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Mental health support through Open Up, including access to online therapy sessions
- Allies and champions groups
- Mental Health First Aiders and awareness training for our managers
- In person or virtual yoga every week
- Cycle to work scheme
- Electric car scheme
- Our office kitchen is stocked with drinks and snacks to keep you going
- Financial wellbeing support through Bippit
- Workplace pension contributions
🌳 Growth & Development
- A flexible training framework for every stage of your career development through our Bloom & Learn programme
- Access to the Goodhabitz learning platform
- Mentee and mentor opportunities with our external partners, such as The Women's Association and Future Founders
- Internal & external Speaker Sessions on a variety of different inspirational topics
💐 Moments that matter
- Social & wellbeing monthly calendar
- Summer and End of Year events, team lunches and post-peak celebrations
- Irresistible discounts on our products, blooms & subscriptions!
We know that job searching can be daunting, and we want to do everything we can to ensure that your experience with us is a good one. Interviewing is a 2-way process, and we’re keen to answer all of the questions you have, so that you can be sure (and excited!) that we’re the right move for you.
If your application is successful, you can expect to have a quick chat with Elaina, our TA Lead, to run through your experience, motivations and the role in more detail. You'll then meat with Caitlan, our Group Head of Financial Reporting, and this will be followed by a task based interview with some other members of the team.
We believe in leading change for good, so do let us know if there’s anything we can do to support your application process. Also, if you have any feedback, please help us to improve our candidate experience by sharing (anonymously) here.