Lead Full Stack Engineer
Bloom & Wild
Posted on Tuesday, November 7, 2023
Hi, we’re Bloom & Wild. Founded in 2013, our mission back then was to make sending and receiving flowers the joy that it should be, by harnessing technology, brand and letterbox delivery. Together, we’ve fulfilled over 20 million deliveries (and counting!), making us the largest direct to consumer flower business in Europe.
We announced £75 million Series D funding in 2021 and that same year acquired bloomon in The Netherlands and Bergamotte in France. Now home to a family of 3 beautiful brands, we're expanding our gifting offering to other categories like cakes, candles and cocktails. This is all part of our ambition to build Europe's #1 direct to consumer gifting destination.
⚙️Technology at Bloom & Wild
Our Technology team of over 60 people sits right at the heart of our business. We build and maintain the solutions that power e-commerce, production and fulfilment, enabling our brands to delight our customers every day.
The Engineering team is six, cross-functional, Product Engineering squads, who each own their own business and architectural domain and are supported by our Platform, Architecture, Data and IT teams.
Our platform uses technologies including Ruby and Rails and Python/ React, backed by PostgreSQL, Fargate/ECS on AWS, and Cloud Run on GCP. It exposes APIs that are used by our multi-brand Angular webapp and our native iOS and Android mobile apps. We’re also looking at developing new domain driven services & microservices where applicable.
Most of our team is based in the UK or The Netherlands and works in a flexible model, with choice in how often they travel to the office. Our squads meet all in person at least once per quarter in order to maintain connections, collaborate on larger projects and have fun together.
You can read lots more about our technology stack and our culture over on our tech blog - Code Wild
💻 What you’ll be doing
- You’ll play an active role in delivering the roadmap for your squad and be a key part of our Engineering team. This includes:
- Collaborating with other engineers, designers, product managers and stakeholders as you work together to scope out what to build and how.
- Owning feature development from ideation through to production release and ongoing maintenance, using an iterative approach to validate ideas and learn.
- Being a part of our supportive engineering culture as you learn more, and grow your career, within Bloom & Wild Engineering
✅ You’ll love this role if you… (What excites us)
- Demonstrated experience as a Full-Stack Developer with a track record of successfully developing and deploying web applications. A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in full-stack development is required.
- Proficiency in Ruby on Rails for server-side development.
- Knowledge of Angular for front-end development.
- Experience with database systems (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL) and writing efficient SQL queries.
- Practical experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) for cloud computing and deployment.
- Have worked with RESTful APIs and ideally you will have built new ones.
- Have a quality mindset and have used techniques such as test-driven development and testing tools such as RSpec/Cucumber.
- Understand the importance of practices such as version control and CI/CD, and have used industry recognised tools to follow them.
- Have a positive and optimistic attitude - you overcome setbacks and obstacles, and inspire and motivate those around you too.
- Take a collaborative, data-driven and experimental approach to solving complex problems, and are able to demonstrate the ability to foster this mindset in your colleagues.
- Are keen to learn and stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and value sharing your knowledge with your peers
- Experience working on an e-commerce site or in a fast-growing (preferably consumer-facing) start-up.
- Know about distributed service architectures, including how best to test and release them, and how to ensure system stability when making changes independent of other services.
It would be great if you also have...
These are some of the skills and experience we think will enable success in this role, but please don’t worry if you are missing some of these. We’re committed to building a team made up of different strengths, skills and experiences, so if you’re excited about our values, passionate about what you do and would like to join us in doing things more thoughtfully, we’d love to hear from you.
🌟 (some of) The good stuff
To care wildly for our customers, firstly we care wildly for our teams. We work hard to craft a culture of thoughtfulness and care, where there is a strong sense of inclusion and belonging, enabling all of our people to thrive and be successful each day.
🌻 Work that works for you
- Flexible working : our core hours are 10-4, but outside of these hours you can start or finish your day when works best for you
- Work Abroad for up to 30 days each year
- Share in our success with a choice to take equity options
- Enhanced family leave policy and a workplace nursery scheme
- 1 day per year to volunteer on a project that’s close to your heart
🌴 Time off
-25 days’ holiday + your birthday and bank holidays each year
- Flexible bank holidays - trade a bank holiday for another day that fits your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
- Option to buy an extra 5 days’ holiday each year
🌱 Health and wellbeing
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Company pension scheme
- Mental health support through Open Up, including access to online therapy sessions
- Allies and champions groups
- Mental Health First Aiders and awareness training for our managers
- In person or virtual yoga every week
- Cycle to work scheme
- Our office kitchen is stocked with drinks and snacks to keep you going
- Financial wellbeing support through Bippit
🌳 Growth & Development
- A flexible training framework for every stage of your career development through our Bloom & Learn programme
- Access to the Goodhabitz learning platform
- Mentee and mentor opportunities with our external partners, such as The Women's Association and Mentoring for Growth run by Future FoundersInternal & external Speaker Sessions on a variety of different inspirational topics
💐 Moments that matter
- Social & wellbeing monthly calendar
- Summer and End of Year events, team lunches and post-peak celebrations
- Irresistible discounts on our products, blooms & subscriptions!
🏡 Belonging at Bloom & Wild
- We know that we learn through our differences, and building a diverse team has always been central to creating the best experience for our customers. We value all backgrounds, perspectives, ideas and experiences, and encourage everyone to share their opinions openly within our caring and inclusive team. Our champions community actively advances our culture of inclusion and belonging, which is organised around 8 pillars of diversity. These cross-business networks offer additional opportunities for connection, education, support and celebration, and ensure that inclusivity continues to be embedded in our ways of working.
We’ll do everything we can to make sure your interview experience with us is a good one. It’s a 2-way process, and we’re keen to answer all of the questions you may have, so that you can be sure (and excited!) that we’ll be the right place for you.
- Apply below (it takes 2 minutes!)
- Chat with Billy, our Senior Talent Manager for tech - to discuss our role and learn a bit more about your skills and background and how we might match your career & development goals.
- Interview with Kev, our Director of Engineering to get into more of the detail.
- Show us how you work through a technical challenge, which can be a live paired coding/whiteboard session.
- Final chat with Steve, from our Tech leadership team.
We believe in leading change for good, so if there’s anything that we can do to help throughout your application process, or if you have any feedback, please share this with us anonymously here so we can use this to improve your experience.