VP of Data & Business Intelligence
Bloom & Wild
Operations, Data Science
Posted on Wednesday, October 18, 2023
Hi, we’re Bloom & Wild. Founded in 2013, our mission back then was to make sending and receiving flowers the joy that it should be, by harnessing technology, brand and letterbox delivery. Together, we’ve fulfilled over 20 million deliveries (and counting!), making us the largest direct to consumer flower business in Europe.
We have raised well over £100m in venture capital funding from investors including General Catalyst and Index, who between them have invested in businesses including Airbnb, Monzo and Deliveroo. In 2021, we acquired bloomon in The Netherlands and Bergamotte in France. Now home to a family of 3 beautiful brands, we're expanding our gifting offering to other categories like cakes, candles and cocktails. This is all part of our ambition to build Europe's #1 direct to consumer gifting destination.
About the role and our Data, BI & Analytics team
With millions of customers and hundreds of thousands of monthly transactions, data is right at the heart of what we do and every decision that we make. From ML/AI models and tools that drive operational processes and customer experiences (e.g. promotions, merchandising) to reporting and analytics across Product, Marketing, Commercial and Operational teams, our Data and Business Intelligence teams work collaboratively to support almost every aspect of our business.
We’re looking for a VP Data & Business Intelligence to lead our Data Science, Data Engineering and Business Intelligence & Analytics teams. This new role will report to our CPO and will be part of our Senior Leadership Team. You’ll manage 4 direct reports with experience across BI, Analytics and Data Science, and a broader team of 20 Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Product and Data Analysts. As a data driven organisation, you’ll be a key partner across the business in driving effective commercial and operational decisions and recommendations through effective reporting and analysis. You will be responsible for launching, optimising and managing machine learning models in a production environment that drive step changes in the customer experience and overall business performance.
What you'll be doing:
- Build a deep understanding of our business to develop a group-wide data and analytics strategy that aligns with our commercial goals and objectives.
- Oversee the design, development, and maintenance of our data infrastructure and pipelines, including driving the decoupling of our data warehouses from our production database.
- Refining BI optimised data models that enable self-serve reporting capabilities (e.g. via data cubes / dimensional data modelling)
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify key business questions, develop analytical frameworks and provide self-serve analytical tools that democratise data access.
- Identify and prioritise opportunities for the application of machine learning and generative AI to create business value across the business.
- Launch, optimise and manage machine learning models that deliver business value across our customer and operational domains.
- Bring data leadership and rigour by promoting a culture of analytics excellence across a hybrid international team.
- Use commercial acumen to support teams across Product, Commercial, Marketing, Finance and Operations to drive business outcomes through actionable insight and recommendations.
- Lead, mentor and develop a diverse team of data & analytics experts, invest in building a strong team culture which promotes individual growth.
- Collaborate with our tech and platform teams to responsibly manage data including compliance with data privacy regulations and best practices.
- You have a proven track record across all of Business Intelligence/Analytics, Data Science/Machine Learning, and Data Engineering, gained in environments where data science has been effectively deployed to deliver commercial impact.
- You’re an experienced leader of Data Science and Analytics teams. You have strong credentials, genuinely love delivering through others and are comfortable guiding, evaluating and flexing your style to get the best from those around you.
- You have strong experience working with best in class analytical methods to deliver commercial value. You feel comfortable coaching others to deliver commercially driven analysis.
- You are an effective influencer and collaborator who is able to work effectively with commercial stakeholders to pragmatically unlock value from data and technical stakeholders to build robust and resilient data infrastructure.
- You’ll have strong technical skills thanks to previous hands-on experience with data engineering, machine learning and data modelling earlier in your career. You will have the ability to dive into detailed technical discussions, even though this is not a hands-on role.
- The ability to command technical authority within and beyond your team, coupled with a commercial mindset and desire to pragmatically deliver value for the business.
- You have experience of personally driving the adoption of modern BI and analytics tools.
- You have some hands-on experience of machine learning models and techniques, and understand how to apply in a commercial setting.
These are some of the skills and experience we think will enable success in this role, but please don’t worry if you are missing some of these. We’re committed to building a team made up of different strengths, skills and experiences, so if you’re excited about our values, passionate about what you do and would like to join us in doing things more thoughtfully, we’d love to hear from you.
Why Bloom & Wild?
To care wildly for our customers, first we care wildly for our teams. We work hard to craft a culture of thoughtfulness and care, where there is a strong sense of inclusion and belonging, enabling all of our people to thrive and be successful each day.
🌻 Work that works for you
- Flexible working : our core hours are 10-4, but outside of these hours you can start or finish your day when works best for you
- Work Abroad for up to 30 days each year
- Share in our success with a choice to take equity options from day 1
- Enhanced family leave policy and a workplace nursery scheme
- 1 day per year to volunteer on a project that’s close to your heart
🌴 Time off
- 25 days’ holiday + your birthday and bank holidays each year
- Option to buy an extra 5 days’ holiday each year
- Flexible bank holidays - trade a bank holiday for another day that fits your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
🌱 Health & Wellbeing
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Mental health support through Open Up, including access to online therapy sessions
- Allies and champions groups
- Mental Health First Aiders and awareness training for our managers
- In person or virtual yoga every week
- Cycle to work scheme
- Electric car scheme
- Our office kitchen is stocked with drinks and snacks to keep you going
- Financial wellbeing support through Bippit
- Workplace pension contributions
🌳 Growth & Development
- A flexible training framework for every stage of your career development through our Bloom & Learn programme
- Access to the Goodhabitz learning platform
- Mentee and mentor opportunities with our external partners, such as The Women's Association and Future Founders
- Internal & external Speaker Sessions on a variety of different inspirational topics
💐 Moments that matter
- Social & wellbeing monthly calendar
- Summer and End of Year events, team lunches and post-peak celebrations
- Irresistible discounts on our products, blooms & subscriptions!