Senior Interior Designer, UK
About Blank Street
At Blank Street, we believe great coffee should be an everyday ritual. With shops across London, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Boston, and DC, we’re the first-ever brand to offer affordable high-quality coffee.
Blank Street originated in an effort to change the specialty coffee status quo. Starting with small-format shops and continuing with a limited menu and top-of-the-line tech, we’ve always been focused on simplifying the coffee experience. We partner with amazing local vendors and brands and have some of the best baristas and HQ members out there on our team. Love coffee? Keep reading.
This is a great opportunity for someone who is excited by the prospect of being responsible for creating amazing spaces and is ready to revolutionize the future of the coffee experience. We are searching for an Interior Designer who can engage with all phases of the design and construction process from test fits and design through the bid process and construction administration. In this role, you will be cross-collaborating with our Design, Expansion, Product and Operations teams, just to name a few. Externally, you will interface with contracted consultants, such as; MEP, Structural, local Architect of Record, General Contractor and expeditors. A successful candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, possess strong collaboration skills, and encourage creative thinking while ensuring timely deadlines.
This role is based in London, UK. Periodic travel may be required.
- Magic is found in the details: The experience of Blank Street is the aggregation of 1000s of small things that roll up to the whole. A harmonious aggregation of all those details is what creates magic.
- Move as one: Blank Street is a complex company to operate — as a retailer, we are made up of a myriad of departments that need to work harmoniously. To be successful, we must ensure that we work together as one unified team. We go for goals together, we coordinate on challenges together, leaders step in for each other. We cannot be a collection of individuals operating our own function.
- My home is your home: We are in the business of delivering incredible hospitality experiences to our customers. “My home is your home” is exactly how we want our customers to feel after every interaction – we are always open and inviting. We demonstrate this belief most meaningfully in the way we treat every encounter and by the example we set for one another.
- Design, document, and execute multiple high-quality projects simultaneously by collaborating with all internal and external teams
- Support key initiatives from creation to implementation
- Participate in ideating the conceptual framework for the project
- Coordinate with the Design Director and wider global team to define and maintain an on-brand project aesthetic appropriate to the market
- Communicate regularly to management and the project team with project updates and work alongside and receive mentorship from Design Director
- Coordinate with external consultants throughout the design process
- Communicate to real estate, and operations teams with updates and flag any issues that may arise during the entire project, from deal release to opening, take ownership of them and work together with your team internally to resolve them
- Be responsible for determining and organizing functional requirements, providing programming, space planning, and code analysis
- Ensure design deliverables follow brand standards including: any quality assurance policies and procedures for design, documentation and project management (hand-off packages, including programming, layout, AoR hand-off, operations, etc)
- Support the Real Estate team in the due diligence process as needed
- Portfolios must be submitted for consideration*
Who you are:
- BArch / MArch degree in a design or design-related field, including but not limited to Interior Design or Architecture
- 6+ years of professional design, and construction in high-quality commercial or hospitality projects. Mixed-use residential, cultural, and institutional experiences also will be considered.
- A commitment to delivering outstanding high-quality design
- Ambitious, out-of-the-box thinker
- Interest in rule-based design refined over multiple iterations
- Reliable, focused, and detail-oriented
- Some demonstrable experience in design documentation
- Interest in learning building and accessibility codes, and zoning
- Interest in learning about building materials and construction details
- Excellent oral, written, and graphic communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills
- Self-directed with a high level of initiative and a ‘can do’ attitude, but open to feedback
- Highly resourceful problem solver and quick learner
- Strong time management skills
- Excellent organizational and ‘people’ skills
- Proficient in the following programs: BIM (Revit), all things Google, Bluebeam, Adobe Creative Suite
- £50-75k/year base compensation, based on experience
- Blank Street, in good faith, believes that the posted salary range is accurate for this role in London at the time of posting. Our salary ranges are rooted in the desire to pay competitively relative to our organization size and industry, reflecting just one part of the total compensation package. Additional components include equity offering, healthcare benefits, paid time off and various work perks (commuter benefits, free coffee). Details will be discussed during the interview process. Blank Street may pay more or less than the posted range based on factors such as relevant experience and skills, qualifications and location, among others. This range may be modified in the future.
- Equity package
- Private health insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid parental leave
- WeWork Access
- Company social outings and events
- A whole lot of Blank Street swag & coffee
Something looks off?