Director and General Manager, Small Business
BigCommerce’s mission is to help merchants sell more at every stage of growth, from small startups, to mid-market businesses to large enterprises. We focus on being the best ecommerce platform so our customers can focus on what matters most: growing their businesses.
We are equally passionate about growing our employee’s careers and providing them an incredible experience as we rapidly expand across the globe. We are proud to have been recognized numerous times for our product and workplace culture. We empower our people and customers to build, innovate and grow, so together we can redefine the ecommerce industry.
BigCommerce (Nasdaq: BIGC) is a leading open software-as-a-service (SaaS) ecommerce platform that empowers merchants of all sizes to build, innovate and grow their businesses online. BigCommerce provides merchants sophisticated enterprise-grade functionality, customization and performance with simplicity and ease-of-use. Tens of thousands of B2C and B2B companies across 150 countries and numerous industries use BigCommerce to create beautiful, engaging online stores, including Ben & Jerry’s, Molton Brown, S.C. Johnson, Skullcandy, Solo Stove, Ted Baker and Vodafone. Headquartered in Austin, BigCommerce has offices in London, Kyiv, San Francisco, and Sydney.
BigCommerce seeks a highly dynamic, multi-skilled leader for its Small Business (SB) division. Small Business consists of all customers exclusively using one or more of our Essentials plans, which are priced at $40 - $400 / month and intended for customers selling below $1 million / year online. This was BigCommerce’s original target customer when launched in 2009, and up through 2015, remained the overwhelming portion of our customer base. Today, SB has annual run rate revenue (ARR) of $95 million as of the end of Q2 2023, generates 29% of total company ARR, and serves more than 40,000 individual customers. SB customers exist in more than 120 countries around the world, and SB revenue contributes to the revenue roll-up of our three primary regions of Americas, EMEA, and APAC. SB serves the e-commerce needs of businesses in a very wide range of industries, product categories, and sales channels (e.g., both B2C and B2B). The Director/GM of SB will be a global role based in our Austin, Texas headquarters. Because the primary acquisition channels for SB are organic (word-of-mouth, referrals, self-serve, search) and heavily influenced by product marketing (website messaging and positioning), this position reports into our Chief Marketing Officer’s organization.
What You’ll Do:
- P&L reporting and analysis: plan, track, analyze, and systematically improve all elements of business unit health, including top line revenue and profit growth, customer retention, upgrades/downgrades, partner and services revenue attachment, geographic trends, industry and category trends, B2C vs. B2B trends, ROI and LTV:CAC.
- Strategy: build deep understanding of our customers and their needs, define and refine target customer profiles, evaluate competitive offerings, articulate elements of differentiated value delivery and competitive advantage, evaluate options for driving profitable growth, outline execution plans for growth initiatives, and communicate strategy internally and externally to key agency and tech partners.
- Product marketing: outline and write our core messaging and positioning, publish and continuously improve the product marketing in the Essentials portion of www.bigcommerce.com, recommend feature and service updates by plan type, recommend pricing by plan type, and amplify product marketing through content and partner marketing.
- Collaboration and recommendations: work with Strategic Business Development to establish and grow technology partnerships that benefit SB; work with Product Management to define and prioritize new product releases that benefit SB; work with the Agency Partner team to grow the ecosystem and its ability to serve SB customers; work with other marketing functions to recommend high-ROI acquisition marketing opportunities; work with Customer Success Services to evaluate and improve customer satisfaction and NPS; work with Finance and Business Operations on P&L planning and reporting; work with regional business unit leaders to grow in specific countries and markets.
- Lead SB analysis, strategy, and product marketing company-wide as an individual contributor. This role does not have a dedicated staff or team.
- Collaborate closely with senior management to enthusiastically support and grow our SB customer success, partner ecosystem, and business unit size and profitability.
Who You Are:
- Experienced former management consultant with 4+ years’ experience, at least through the manager level, from a top-tier firm like McKinsey, Bain, and BCG (required)
- Expert in financial analysis, performance analysis, planning, modeling, and reporting
- Exceptional strategic and operational problem solver
- Superb written communicator capable of personally authoring our core website messaging and positioning for SB
- Proven ability to outline business cases and build cross-functional support for approving and executing them
- Experienced in successful management of teams and team projects
- Passionate about retail and ecommerce, ideally with significant existing experience
- Track record of demonstrated high performance in all prior jobs
- Obsessed with customer satisfaction and success
- Prior GM experience a plus but not requirement
- Prior international experience a plus but not requirement
- Internet product management or marketing experience a plus but not requirement
- MBA or graduate degree preferred
- Exemplar of BigCommerce’s “bucket two” cultural and company values
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the interview process, to perform essential job functions and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you need an accommodation in order to interview at BigCommerce, please let us know during any of your interactions with our recruiting team.
Learn more about the BigCommerce team, culture and benefits at https://careers.bigcommerce.com.