Head of Data
Beauty Pie is disrupting the beauty industry. Our aim is simple: provide beauty and health lovers the highest quality health and beauty products, made by the world’s best laboratories. As the first luxury beauty and wellness buyers’ club, our products are sold directly to our members without the prohibitive industry mark-ups. Technology powers everything that we do, and contributes to making our business model unique!
As part of our team? You’ll learn a lot. (We’re all learning a lot.) You’ll be multi-tasking, you’ll make some great decisions and some bad ones. You’ll have highs and lows. It won’t be easy (because that would be boring). But you’ll be moving fast, identifying and solving problems, iterating and evolving, and you’ll bring your best to the game. In fact, it’s not very often you get an opportunity like this - to help grow a great brand, for a rocketship of a business that will scale in size and go global. One that thrills its customers. And delivers happiness. We'll be asking for your input, experience, teamwork, ideas, and camaraderie, while we navigate the unknown, the mysterious and the upside together!
Description of the role
The Head of Data is responsible for designing, building and running the data platforms that support Beauty Pie’s core eCommerce business as well as the surfacing of actionable insights drawn from the data collected. You will develop and drive the data vision and strategy that supports the overall business strategy. Work closely with other departments to understand business goals and help identify technical solutions that support those objectives. With a natural customer focus you will ensure that our data is robust, secure and excellently governed whilst working as part of a fast paced organisation.
Reporting to the CTO, You will have line management responsibility for a team of data and analytics engineers, data scientists and data analysts and will work closely with a wide range of people across the organisation including Engineering, Product, Marketing and Member Happiness teams.
You should be confident leading best practice across multiple teams, solving complex problems, as well as providing technical coaching and oversight to other data enthusiasts.
This is an incredibly exciting opportunity to join our team. On a day to day basis, you will be responsible for:
- Hiring and developing a great team of data and analytics engineers, data scientists and data analysts
- Conduct regular 1-2-1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, happy and engaged.
- Manage concurrent projects across Data Science, Analytics, Customer Insights and Data Engineering
- Presenting complex information to technical and non-technical audiences in an accessible and concise way, providing clear recommendations that will optimise performance
- Collaborating closely with your colleagues and peers across all disciplines of the business in shaping strategy and validating new data supported initiatives
- Leveraging data and analytics to inform global decisions on customer acquisition, retention, operations and expansion
- Developing and implement comprehensive market and customer research tools and strategies that enable quantitative and qualitative data to be transformed into valuable, accessible, and rich business insights
- Using customer segmentation insight to understand our customers behaviour better, understanding why and how they shop with Beauty Pie
You will also be a key contributor to:
- Improving our hiring and recruitment processes
- Promote an agile, collaborative way of working cross-functionally, in order to drive performance
- Investing in our overall platform architecture.
- Ensuring the business can support an effective hybrid first working culture which scales
- Develop and drive the data vision and strategy that supports the overall business strategy. Work closely with other departments to understand business goals and help identify technical solutions that support those goals.
- Demonstrating operational responsibility for Beauty Pie’s Production data platforms including incident management and communication with all stakeholders
We believe it's all about mindset, great skills and attitude and a fantastic work ethic being key. If you’re aligned to our values, excited about the opportunity, and you’re really good at what you do (even if you don’t tick all the boxes) apply anyway! *
- Highly analytical with a strong knowledge of data/data science/machine learning and its various frameworks
- An advocate and champion for all things data, evangelising about the tools we have available
- Experience in understanding customer profiles and segmentation of a global consumer brand at scale
- Ability to understand the details which drive the commercial performance of the business while also able to zoom out to understand the bigger picture
- A passion for using insight to solve everyday problems as well as to make strategic decisions
- A commercially minded leader who can work well with the other senior leaders to drive business results
- Proactive with the ability to manage and communicate pressing and competing deadlines
*The stated experience and background is a guide and does not preclude applications from candidates with more or less experience, provided the requisite skills can be demonstrated.
Our culture is our DNA. It defines who we are, how we operate and how we hire based on our values:
- Bring Your ‘A’ Game - take ownership & accountability, make shit happen, grow, support, evolve, invent, be open minded
- Be Intelligently Rebellious - challenge the status quo, push boundaries, embrace change and think big
- Be Customer Obsessed - listen & learn, take ownership, act fast, be humble & empathetic, build & keep trust, be grateful for feedback
- It’s All For One (& One For All) - take advantage of collective intelligence, act with integrity, support & challenge, embrace individuality, do right by our company, our members, our colleagues & our environment
As always, there are a few perks
- Free Membership to Beauty Pie + 20% off our products💄
- A piece of Beauty Pie with Share options 🥧
- Private Medical Insurance ⛑
- Contributory Pension Scheme (UK) 401k Scheme (US) 💰
- Life Assurance at 4 x annual salary 🙏
- Regular social events 🎯
- An allowance to set up your home office 🖥
- 25 days holiday (UK) 22 days vacation (US) 🏝
- Your birthday off 🎂
- Flexible bank holidays (You choose them!) ⏰
- 60 days work from anywhere worldwide 🌍
- Access to mental health support through Spill 🧠
- £2,500 / $2,500 to spend on your fertility journey after 2 years service 👶
So, what are you waiting for? Apply now for a chance to be part of an inspirational, international and talented team.
Beauty Pie is an equal opportunity employer. The company will not unlawfully discriminate on grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, gender reassignment, race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, disability or age, pregnancy or trade union membership.
Please let us know, if you require reasonable adjustments at any point during the application and/or recruitment process.
Something looks off?