Mechanical Systems Engineer, Hydraulics
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Utilize first principle methods and design tools to develop new aircraft products
- Own development of preliminary and detailed design of hydraulic systems including top level schematics, designing actuation manifolds, actuators, and integrating low level hydraulic components into a cohesive architecture.
- Perform complex modelling at the detailed component and assembly level, including transient analysis of pumps, accumulators, actuators, and servo valves, up to full coupled hydraulic and mechanical system modeling.
- Conduct trade studies and perform design and analysis research of complex engineering concepts to determine an optimal solution for weight, performance, manufacturability, cost, and/or schedule
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary environment to solve complex, open-ended problems with an emphasis on schedule and cost objectives
- Closely coordinate work with systems engineering, modeling and simulation, aerodynamics, electrical, structures, manufacturing, external vendors, and other team members
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in engineering or a related technical degree with a focus on dynamic systems or fluid dynamics
- Strong technical knowledge in core engineering principles, component design, analysis, testing, and fabrication
- Strong dynamic systems modeling experience in industry standard software like Matlab or Easy5, and fluid dynamics modeling experience in software like Flowmaster or Amesim
- Ability to create parts, assemblies and drawings using 3D CAD software such as NX.
- Proficient in creating drawings per ASME Y14.5
- Excellent time management, organizational, and communication skills
- US DoD Secret Clearance or higher (or ability to obtain and maintain such a clearance)
- 5+ years of experience in aircraft design
- Proficiency with NX CAD and SimCenter, Nastran, Ansys or Abaqus analysis software
- Experience with fast paced prototype design and manufacture of uncrewed aircraft
- Experience supporting ground and flight testing of complex systems
- Broad experience across a range of aircraft mechanical systems
- Hands-on experience with test qualification of hydraulic components (such as oleo strut, structural members, or brakes)
- Detailed knowledge of electrical engineering systems, controllers, and sensors required to appropriately control hydraulic systems
- Practical aircraft knowledge (pilots license, A&P, etc.)
The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers; and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision Plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and Paid Time Off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians, and all on-site meals fully subsidized during the work week with gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!