Project Manager, Mission Planning
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
As a Senior Mission Planning Engineer, under minimal supervision, you will determine and develop various approaches to achieve mission planning software design and development goals. You will guide and inform a software engineering organization in the design, development, testing, integration and execution of novel mission planning software solutions. Your extensive experience developing and using multiple other mission planning systems will help chart the best path towards an effective software design.
This position will focus heavily on new software development, but may leverage modification to existing Anduril and COTS software solutions. You will use your experience to develop system requirements, provide insight into future customer needs and create an overall vision for Anduril’s future unmanned aircraft mission planning systems. This mission planning system will be the cornerstone to planning and executing UAS flight test and supporting future operational missions for multiple UAS systems.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Your daily activities will include meeting across engineering activities, including electrical engineering, guidance and control, flight controls, flight test, and various software teams. You will be expected to align and coordinate the input of multiple teams which will help you develop Ground Control Systems and aircraft mission planning architecture.
- You will be responsible for mission planning Technical and Engineering activities for a developmental aircraft. You will develop mission plans to support a comprehensive flight test campaign and manage multiple flight test mission plan configurations in support of high-risk test events. Test duties include the developmental test of hardware and software in laboratory, ground and flight test environments, with emphasis placed on resource planning. You will be expected to seek process improvements to increase test efficiency.
- You will develop mission planning procedures and training materials. You will be the mission planning subject matter expert for developmental systems and may serve as an mission planning instructor that trains customer personnel. The training products that you help develop will be delivered to the customer to support operational systems.
- You will take lead of periodic and milestone engineering reviews, often facilitating technical discussions between Anduril and customer representatives.
- Faced with numerous technical and execution challenges, you will be expected to develop creative solutions to unique problems. You will be biased for action — you are empowered to engage your team to solve and fix any problem you encounter.
- Bachelor's degree in Aerospace Engineering, or aviation related engineering degree.
- Served as a mission planner, with 10 or more years of equivalent experience, with UAS mission planning experience.
- 5 or more years of flight test experience.
- Understands UAS navigation and mission systems employment in operational theaters. Is familiar with employment of mission systems and weapon systems from UAS systems.
- Must have a complete understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expansive knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Experience providing direct support authoring flight manuals and technical documentation necessary to support mission planning products on developmental aircraft, and delivering configuration controlled publications to the customer.
- Familiarity with the FAA regulations, airspace requirements, ATC procedures and aeronautical charts.
- Proficiency in office, development, and analysis software experience such as MS Office, Jira, Git, MATLAB, or Jupyter Notebooks
- Experience using requirements management software such as DOORS, JAMA, or similar
- Able to work extended and irregular hours.
- Able to travel as required to support flight test execution and programmatic requirements.
- Must possess and be able to maintain an active U.S. Top Secret security clearance
- FAA certified Pilot, Commercial Pilot or Airline Transport Pilot.
- FAA Instrument Rating.
- 10+ years flight test engineering experience.
- Previously held the position of Lead Mission Planner, Mission Planning Instructor, or Weaponeer.
- Experience on a team that executed flights on a manned or large UAS developmental aircraft.
- Experience in identifying and managing risks as well as conducting high-risk testing.
- Experience working with the Department of Defense (DoD) as a contractor.
- Prior experience with ship compatibility testing.
- Must possess the ability to understand new concepts quickly; apply them accurately; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas.
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!