Principal Systems Engineer, Space
Costa Mesa, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
You will serve as the technical lead on a wide berth of Anduril space efforts including BMC3 missions, tactical SRT, optical and IR payloads. The Systems Engineer will develop a technical strategy and roadmap in conjunction with the Chief Engineer of Space Missions and the Growth/Strategy leads of the Orbital Systems team that effectively leverages current Anduril technologies and newly developed technologies to serve the customer mission areas. This role will address pre-award demonstrations, early contract phases, and full-contract execution. The Systems Engineer, working with a multi-disciplinary engineering team, will ensure the efficient development and delivery of hardware and software solutions for the customer.
These efforts will include leading complex, integrated systems for on-orbit operations and demonstrations to include sub-contracted teammates and strategic partnerships. The systems engineer will need to facilitate effective technical development and integration that spans company-boundaries in an agile development approach in the context of a continuous integration/continuous deployment paradigm. They will need to balance development of new capabilities with the incorporation of several pre-existing Anduril capabilities and need to effectively communicate the development status to customers.
The Systems Engineer will be responsible for technical oversight of all aspects of program execution from proposals to SRR, PDR, CDR, MRR, TRR, assembly, qualification testing, and delivery of flight units for launch. The Systems Engineer in conjunction with the Chief Engineer of Space Missions will assist in building out the necessary infrastructure for Anduril to execute on all necessary aspects of satellite and payload build and test to include working with external vendors for establishing test requirements and pass/fail criteria. The Systems Engineer will also work closely with the Anduril Space C2 team to enable and deliver Space Ground C2 products to both the customer and to further Anduril’s penetration into customer ecosystems.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Provide technical expertise across multiple spacecraft subsystems including bus and payloads
- Leverage strategic partnerships and teammates for building out new products to satisfy customer requirements in new and challenging mission areas
- Provide space industry expertise to refine and advance the Anduril Space and Orbital Systems strategy for growing the organization
- Contribute technical inputs to proposals to include engineering execution plans
- Provider oversight to a multi-disciplinary team of engineers through all phases of program execution up to and including delivery and operation of capabilities on-orbit
- Perform mission and system level trade studies and analysis to balance risk, cost, and performance.
- Experience in architecting, developing, and delivering defense/IC satellite and space hardware and software systems
- Understanding of the recent/current technical state of key USSF and IC space systems and mission areas
- Demonstrated ability to decompose complex systems with competing objectives (e.g., performance, schedule, openness, cybersecurity, MLS) into executable requirements and execution then delivering on those to meet government expectations
- Experience with spacecraft standards for qualification testing and acceptance testing to include the use of GEVS, SMC-S-016 (MIL-STD-1540), etc
- Experience with US government space mission areas and associated CONOPS for successfully executing missions to enable space for the warfighter
- Design and development of space vehicle and payload architectures and detailed mission solutions to complex space domain challenges
- Strong technical communication skills, providing the ability to deliver critical technical briefings and conclusions to technical leadership, company leadership, and customers
- Strong technical fundamentals in space systems, space ground infrastructure, and product development
- Technical experience leading US Government contracts.
- Hold a U.S. Top Secret security clearance with a SSBI
- Previous experience delivering spacecraft flight hardware
- On-orbit mission operations of satellites and/or associated payloads
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!