Principal Software Engineer
Quincy, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Anduril Industries is a defense technology company with a mission to transform U.S. and allied military capabilities with advanced technology. By bringing the expertise, technology, and business model of the 21st century’s most innovative companies to the defense industry, Anduril is changing how military systems are designed, built and sold. Anduril’s family of systems is powered by Lattice OS, an AI-powered operating system that turns thousands of data streams into a realtime, 3D command and control center. As the world enters an era of strategic competition, Anduril is committed to bringing cutting-edge autonomy, AI, computer vision, sensor fusion, and networking technology to the military in months, not years.
Anduril is fielding the next generation of Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs) to tackle the extremely challenging industry demands of seabed exploration. Anduril has brought to the market a unique, ultra-long-range, full-ocean-depth platform and a completely refreshed maritime vehicle and flexible manufacturing architecture that scales from "large" to "extra-large" vehicle sizes. Today, Anduril is executing on multi-million-dollar contracts while simultaneously performing Robot-as-a-Service (RaaS) AUV operations.
These platforms, including but not limited to, our Extra Large and Large Displacement Un-crewed Undersea Vehicles (Dive-XL and Dive-LD respectively), require a Principal Software Engineer to lead the delivery of platform mission systems, including autonomy, data processing, payload integration, and off-board command and control. The Principal Software Engineer demonstrates unparalleled end-to-end outcome ownership, driving the rapid architecting, design, delivery, support, and evolution of next generation autonomous vehicles through their entire product life-cycle.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Own custom success through the design and delivery of a multi-year, multi-stakeholder software roadmap. Leverage internal product and program-specific engineering teams to rapidly deliver capability beyond the scope of current platforms, with a clear path for both architecture and capability evolution over time
- Partner with the Vehicle Software team that is responsible for core sensor and actuator functionality. Collaborate on interfacing requirements between Vehicle Management System and Mission System stacks.
- Drive architecture selection and design for robotic mission systems, including hardware selection, compute, storage and network architecture. Service orchestration and other software platform concerns that balance constraints, restrictions and requirements in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Contribute to the design and development of a company wide roadmap for software inputs to autonomous systems
- Lead teams that develop software that runs on- and off- platform, using a variety of technologies
- Act as a subject matter expert for software engineering, representing software equities in a multi-stakeholder environment including engineering, business and sales leadership.
- Drive the design and implementation of development processes for the initial delivery and subsequent iteration of mission software, including full lifecycle testing
- Drive the creation of test and simulation fixtures that operate with both software- and hardware-in-the-loop
- Support vehicle manufacturing and deployment
- Lead teams of multi-disciplinary engineers, including as a mentor for Senior Software Engineers from differing backgrounds
- Travel to co-locate with end-users and/or other teams up to 20% of the time
- Bachelor’s degree in Robotics, Mechatronics, Computer Science, Engineering, a relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Experience in a leadership position within a high performing technology organization
- Systems and/or application programming skills including algorithms, data structures, concurrency and optimization
- Experience troubleshooting and analyzing remotely deployed software systems
- Capacity to work holistically on software enabled capabilities up and down the software stack and through lifecycle through design, implementation, operation and sustainment
- Capacity to act as the technical owner for an entire software system, including stakeholder engagement, requirements definition, roadmap management, team co-ordination, design, implementation, sustainment and evolution
- Capacity to learn and grow individually, while mentoring senior team members effectively, building team cohesion and capacity
- Ability to obtain and maintain a United States Government Security Clearance
- Experience in a senior role for the delivery of a military mission system
- Experience with the development and sustainment of distributed software platform and application architectures, running under dynamic network topologies
- Experience writing C, C++, Go and/or Rust
- Experience with modeling and simulation
- Experience with development of high assurance safety critical software
- Familiarity with communications busses and protocols such as CAN, CANFD, ARINC-825, ARINC-429, MIL-STD-1553, UART/RS232/RS422/RS485, SPI, QSPI, I2C, Ethernet, etc
- Experience within the product delivery lifecycle including manufacturing, system acceptance, deployment, and sustainment.
- Familiarity with vehicle management systems
- Familiarity with System Engineering concepts
For Full Time Employment Opportunities: The salary range for this role is an estimate based on a wide range of compensation factors, inclusive of base salary only. Actual salary offer may vary based on (but not limited to) work experience, education and/or training, critical skills, and/or business considerations. Highly competitive equity grants are included in all offers and are considered part of Anduril’s total compensation package. Additionally, Anduril offers top-tier benefits, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, employee life and disability, mental health and family planning benefits with all premiums paid by Anduril. Anduril provides fully paid medical leave, paid company holidays, and paid time off. A professional development stipend is available to all Andurilians and all on-site meals are fully subsidized during the work week through use of our gourmet kitchens. The recruiter assigned to this role can share more information about the specific compensation and benefit details associated with this role during the hiring process.
Anduril is an equal-opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. The Anduril team is made up of incredibly talented and unique individuals, who together are disrupting industry norms by creating new paths towards the future of defense technology. All qualified applicants will be treated with respect and receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, uniform service, Veteran status, age, or any other protected characteristic per federal, state, or local law, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including the CA Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance. We actively encourage members of recognized minorities, women, Veterans, and those with disabilities to apply, and we work to create a welcoming and supportive environment for all applicants throughout the interview process. If you are someone passionate about working on problems that have a real-world impact, we’d love to hear from you!