Scientist/Senior Scientist, Biological Sciences (Mallucci Lab)
To restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that can occur throughout life.
For more information, see our website at altoslabs.com.
Diversity at Altos
We believe that diverse perspectives are foundational to scientific innovation and inquiry.
We are building a company where exceptional scientists and industry leaders from around the world work side by side to advance a shared mission.
Our intentional focus is on Belonging, so that all employees know that they are valued for their unique perspectives.
At Altos, we are all accountable for sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
What You Will Contribute To Altos
Exciting opportunities are available in the Mallucci group at Altos Labs, Cambridge Institute of Science (Cambridge, UK). We are seeking highly motivated, creative, and collaborative individuals who are passionate and dedicated about using their expertise to make impactful contributions to understanding the biological mechanisms of neuronal health and rejuvenation.
The Mallucci Lab
Mallucci has pioneered understanding the role of dysregulated stress responses in neurodegenerative diseases, and their modulation for therapy. Her lab discovered the role of unfolded protein response (UPR) in mediating neuronal loss in these diseases and contributed to the development of treatments targeting the pathway, now in clinical trials. In parallel, using the paradigm of mammalian hibernation, they discovered the role of the cold shock protein, RBM3, in synapse regeneration and its potential for therapeutic modulation. At Altos, the lab is interested in new interdisciplinary projects to bring new understanding of neuronal resilience across the cell biology of aging and rejuvenation. Projects span basic research through to clinical translation.
- Engage in ground-breaking and innovative science and in Altos scientific activities
- Study the mechanistic basis of stress responses for brain health and rejuvenation
- Develop project-specific experimental strategies, techniques, and procedures
- Coordinate/contribute to internal and external collaborations
- Help to recruit, train and supervise lab members, including scientists and technicians
- Contribute to writing and dissemination of research results
Who You Are
Qualified applicants will have a PhD in life sciences, coupled with strong training in any one or more of the following fields/areas of expertise:
- Molecular and cell biology: prior expertise in translational control, RNA biology, and/or stress responses is a plus
- Molecular neuroscience or experimental neurobiology
- Cellular reprogramming and stem cell biology
- Epigenetics and epigenetic modifications
- Functional screening platforms - small molecules, CRISPR/Cas system, RNAi, etc
- Gene delivery systems, including AAVs
- Preclinical models, in vivo experience in mice
- Computational biology and bioinformatics expertise for analysis of wet lab data
In addition, we seek evidence of:
- Critical thinking and ability to formulate scientific questions, design strategies, and implement the plans effectively
- Ability to work independently and with others in a Demonstrated high productivity and ability to complete work in a timely manner
- Problem-solving skills to identify potential issues, test, and develop innovative solutions
- Excellent writing and communication skills
Salary Ranges: Scientist I; £42,500 - £69,000, Scientist II; £50,000 - £90,000, Senior Scientist; £60,000 - £115,200
Exact compensation may vary based on skills, experience, and location.
Before submitting your application:
- Please click here to read the Altos Labs EU and UK Applicant Privacy Notice (https://bit.ly/3fHGl98)
- This Privacy Notice is not a contract, express or implied and it does not set terms or conditions of employment.
What We Want You To Know
We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to inspire innovation.
Altos Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of scientific freedom, learning, and belonging.
Note: Altos Labs will not ask you to download a messaging app for an interview or outlay your own money to get started as an employee. If this sounds like your interaction with people claiming to be with Altos, it is not legitimate and has nothing to do with Altos. Learn more about a common job scam at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-spot-avoid-online-job-scams-biron-clark/