Scientist/Senior Scientist, Molecular and Cell Biology
To restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that can occur throughout life.
Diversity at Altos
We believe that diverse perspectives are foundational to scientific innovation and inquiry.
We are building a company where exceptional scientists and industry leaders from around the world work side by side to advance a shared mission.
Our intentional focus is on Belonging, so that all employees know that they are valued for their unique perspectives.
At Altos, we are all accountable for sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
What You Will Contribute to Altos
An exciting opportunity is available for Scientists or Senior Scientists to join Altos Labs in the Costa-Mattioli lab at the Bay Area Institute of Science (San Francisco Bay Area, California). We are seeking highly motivated, creative, and collaborative individuals who are passionate and dedicated about using their expertise to make impactful contributions for unraveling the deep basic biological mechanisms underlying cell health and resilience, including basic science and preclinical programs. Responsibilities include:
- Engage in ground-breaking and innovative science
- Support and manage internal/external collaborations in one or more multidisciplinary projects to accelerate essential research activities
- Study the mechanistic basis of cell and organismal resilience for health and rejuvenation
- Develop project-specific experimental strategies, techniques, and procedures
- Assist PI with training lab members, including scientists and technicians
- Contribute to writing and dissemination of research results
Who You Are
Qualified applicants will have a PhD in life sciences or other relevant discipline, coupled with strong training in one or more of the following fields demonstrated by a successful track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals. The level of the position will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
- Genome editing (e.g., genetic engineering, molecular neurogenetics, CRISPR/Cas systems, etc)
- Molecular and cell biology: prior expertise in translational control, mRNA and ribosome quality control mechanism, protein homoeostasis, or single cell analysis is a plus
- Stem cell biology (cell reprograming)
- Neurobiology (from molecular to circuits)
- Microbial genetics and engineering
What We Offer
- The best of academia and the best of science: A state-of-the-art and vibrant research institute located in the San Francisco Bay Area where we will combine the best of both the academic and industrial worlds (i.e., the exceptional commitment to intellectual freedom and opportunity of academia and the and the resources of industry).
- Access to cutting-edge infrastructure and technical support that will allow you to focus entirely on your project(s).
About the MCM Lab
- Mauro Costa-Mattioli (MCM) lab has identified some of the key mechanisms underlying memory formation and neurological dysfunction (for some of his most recent work see: Johnson et al., Neuron, 2019, Chen et al., Nat Med, 2019, Zhu et al., Science, 2019, Sgritta et al., Neuron et al., 2019; Costa-Mattioli and Walter, Science, 2020, Buffington et al., Cell, 2021, https://costamattiolilab.org/).
- At Altos Labs, in a new line of research, the MCM lab aims to understand the molecular and genetic basis underlying cellular and organismal resilience, with a specific focus on protein homeostasis network, translation control, mRNA and protein quality control mechanisms and cell reprograming. In the years to come, the MCM lab hopes to mine the molecular basis underlying resilience to reset cellular health and homeostasis and thus reverse disease “in a disease agnostic manner”.
- The MCM lab, which aims to answer big questions with team science and scientific openness, wishes to attract the best scientists with the ambition and freedom to explore and discover.
Salary range: Scientist I, 120,700 - 163,300; Scientist II, 142,000 - 211,950; Senior Scientist, 157,000 - 253,200
Job ID 563
What We Want You To Know
We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to inspire innovation.
Altos Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of scientific freedom, learning, and belonging.
Note: Altos Labs will not ask you to download a messaging app for an interview or outlay your own money to get started as an employee. If this sounds like your interaction with people claiming to be with Altos, it is not legitimate and has nothing to do with Altos. Learn more about a common job scam at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-spot-avoid-online-job-scams-biron-clark/