Senior/Staff Platform Software Engineer, DevOps and Cloud Engineering
To restore cell health and resilience through cellular rejuvenation programming to reverse disease, injury, and the disabilities that can occur throughout life.
Diversity at Altos
We believe that diverse perspectives are foundational to scientific innovation and inquiry.
We are building a company where exceptional scientists and industry leaders from around the world work side by side to advance a shared mission.
Our intentional focus is on Belonging, so that all employees know that they are valued for their unique perspectives.
At Altos, we are all accountable for sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment.
What you will contribute to Altos
The Altos Science Computing and Data Team is seeking an experienced platform software engineer to join our growing team and expand our Cloud Engineering and DevOps practice. In this role, you will be responsible for designing, building, and maintaining our cloud infrastructure and scientific computing systems used by Altos scientists to conduct cutting-edge research. You will work closely with software engineers, researchers, and IT teams to build and provide systems that are scalable, reliable, and secure.
- Drive the design, development, and maintenance of the Altos scientific compute infrastructure spanning AWS, on-premises, and hybrid deployments
- Facilitate and drive cloud technology adoption cross-functionally across scientific and research teams
- Understand user needs across a wide range of scientific disciplines and build systems that scientists can use productively
- Monitor and optimize system performance and utilization
- Continuously improve and maintain documentation for our development and deployment processes
- Improve reliability of systems via automation, testing, and continuous integration and delivery
Who You Are
- B.S. in Computer Science, or related quantitative field, or equivalent technical experience
- 5+ years of experience in a Cloud Infrastructure, DevOps, or systems-focused platform software engineering role
- Deep experience architecting and operating cloud solutions on AWS, including experience with AWS products relevant to scientific computing
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform, Ansible, CDK, etc.
- Proficiency in Python, Bash, or other technologies typically used for system orchestration
- Familiarity with monitoring and observability tools, such as Prometheus, Grafana, or DataDog
- Excited to design, implement, and evangelize computing and technical culture standards across scientific and technical functions
- Experience with research or scientific computing environments, including high performance compute (HPC) technologies, such as Slurm, and/or scientific pipeline and workflow technologies such as Nextflow, WDL, etc.
- Experience building a platform to accelerate the efforts of software development, data engineering, and machine learning
- Experience with mixed deployments across cloud, on-premises, and hybrid cloud environments
- Experience with containerization technologies (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes)
- Knowledge of security best practices and compliance standards (e.g. PCI, HIPAA, GDPR, GxP)
- Experience writing automated tests across different levels of the test pyramid
The salary ranges for this position are: Senior Software Engineer £65,450 to £88,550; Staff Software Engineer £79,059 to £106,950
Before submitting your application:
- Please click here to read the Altos Labs EU and UK Applicant Privacy Notice.
- This Privacy Notice is not a contract, express or implied and it does not set terms or conditions of employment.
What We Want You To Know
We are a culture of collaboration and scientific freedom, and we believe in the values of diversity, inclusion and belonging to inspire innovation.
Altos Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Altos currently requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exemptions (e.g., due to a medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief).
Thank you for your interest in Altos Labs where we strive for a culture of scientific freedom, learning, and belonging.
Note: Altos Labs will not ask you to download a messaging app for an interview or outlay your own money to get started as an employee. If this sounds like your interaction with people claiming to be with Altos, it is not legitimate and has nothing to do with Altos. Learn more about a common job scam at https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/how-spot-avoid-online-job-scams-biron-clark/