Senior Android Engineer, UI Tooling & Design Systems
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The mission of the UI Tooling Foundation team is to empower Airbnb's product design and engineering teams with world class tools and industry leading practices. Joining the team, you will work closely with a skilled, cross-functional group of innovative and passionate individuals, collaborating on projects ranging from automating the Figma-to-code translation process to making the design system components more discoverable. We operate on the cutting edge of UI development and are actively exploring ways to integrate the power of Generative AI to improve developer productivity.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a Senior Android Software Engineer, your expertise will be pivotal in developing tools to accelerate the UI development process. You will work closely with a team of cross-platform engineers with collective expertise in Web, iOS and Android to define and shape the future of how features get built at Airbnb.
You will also work closely with world class designers and feature developers to identify opportunities to accelerate their existing workflows and improve the quality of developer experience at Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Design and develop innovative tools and features to streamline and accelerate the product development lifecycle at Airbnb
- Partner with teams focused on Design Systems, Accessibility, and Motion to identify, conceptualize, and develop tools that amplify our capabilities and help us achieve our strategic goals.
- Work closely with product engineers across Airbnb, understanding their pain points and building solutions to resolve them scalably and flexibly.
- Partner with designers, working collaboratively to understand their pain points and make improvements to the designer and development collaboration process.
- Experiment with various Generative AI technologies, create prototypes and drive adoption to the new and innovative tools that you will build.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends, technologies, and best practices in Android development
- Mentor and guide team members in their career development, fostering a culture of continuous learning and growth
- 5-9+ years of experience in Android software development, with a strong interest in topics like Design Systems, UI Infrastructure, Tooling & Generative AI
- Expertise building and maintaining high-performance and scalable consumer Android applications using Kotlin and Jetpack Compose
- Excellent problem-solving, debugging, and optimization skills
- Strong collaboration and communication abilities, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can be employed in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment to Inclusion & Belonging
Airbnb is committed to working with the best and brightest people from the broadest talent pool possible. We believe a diversity of ideas fosters innovation and engagement, and allows us to attract the best people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: email@example.com.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.