Senior Engineering Manager, Anti-Discrimination & Equity Intelligence
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. At the core of trust is safety, and thus we spend a significant amount of our time and energy keeping the community safe. The Trust team is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards. We constantly work to fight against online fraud (such as monetary loss, compromised accounts, spam and scam in messages, fake inventory, etc.) as well as offline fraud (theft, property damage, personal safety, etc.). We also work on onboarding and screening of users, and think about complex topics like identity and reputation to ensure that every interaction with Airbnb helps build trust in us and our community. Trust Engineering is responsible for the technology vision and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
Anti-Discrimination & Equity Intelligence is a team responsible for proactively eliminating discriminatory behaviors and gender/racial biases on Airbnb. The team is responsible for leading industry-leading R&D on anonymized data analysis, translating the research into an in-house production tool that can be used across Airbnb teams, and identifying discriminatory gaps in our product experience and ML models. You’ll be part of the overall Trust organization that is responsible for mitigating fraud and improving safety for Airbnb users, so that the hundreds of millions of our guests and hosts can travel and host with a peace of mind.
The Difference You Will Make:
- You will drive Airbnb’s strategy for improving the intelligence of inequity and racial/gender biases in our product and ML models by translating our research into various in-house tooling and features, such as Lighthouse.
- You will set priorities, and drive execution of the team, balancing velocity and quality while mentoring engineers to help them grow.
- You will influence various cross functional teams, such as DS, legal, and privacy, to help drive progress of the Lighthouse analysis and improvements in Airbnb’s product while balancing the requirements of these partners.
- You will work closely with product teams across Airbnb to increase awareness and drive adoption of Lighthouse analysis, helping to improve the fairness of our product and ML models by identifying unconscious user bias or discriminatory behaviors on our platform.
A Typical Day:
- You will be leading a lean and senior team of engineers where the domain expands across Software Engineering, Data, Machine Learning, and Tooling.
- This role is highly cross functional, with key stakeholders spanning across Data Science, Product, Legal, Privacy, and Business stakeholders.
- You will be part of many close knit Airbnb wide communities, including Data, Machine Learning, and Trust.
- Partner engineering teams include Guest+Host, Infrastructure, and Customer Service Platform.
- You will drive day to day execution of the work, help the team through challenges and proactively address blockers.
- You will be working closely with the team to uplevel members and help them grow their careers.
- 12+ years of industry experience with 5-7+ years of management experience.
- Track record of shipping scalable engineering, data, and machine learning products to consumers.
- Experience setting 2-3 year strategies and roadmaps and alignment with diverse stakeholders.
- Experience building and growing teams quickly in highly dynamic domains, with a strong leadership track record.
- Strong people management skills with a history of helping team members grow.
- Passion for contributing to social impact and advocating for diversity.
- Expertise with state of the art private/anonymized data analysis is a plus.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.