Staff Technical Program Manager, Data Science
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Technical Program Manager (TPM) for the Data Science team. This person will partner with our Data science, engineering & product teams to build/enhance data driven decision making across multiple areas in Airbnb. They will partner closely with the Director of Data Science on processes, strategy and execution.
The team is looking for a person with technical background, who understands problem space, drive requirements, leverage & apply their AI/ML expertise to solve strategic problems at Airbnb.
The Difference You Will Make:
- Own and drive data science initiatives related to the application of AI/ML across teams; be part of the critical decision making process to launch AI initiatives from the ground up.
- Collaborate with the data science team in the design and deployment of platform functionality that uses complex modeling techniques (e.g. ML, optimization, simulation)
- Consume complex data and information, drive insights and create impactful stories.
- Identify and act on opportunities for incorporation of automation in the form of ML to internal processes consumed by the Platform DS stakeholders (e.g. agent tools, policy team tools, etc.)
- Enable cross functional collaboration between vertically oriented teams to solve high priority company projects
A Typical Day:
- Proactively identify new opportunities, create and manage technical roadmaps with milestones.
- Enable the teams to deliver against the roadmap at all stages of the project lifecycle by identifying technical dependencies, and aligning with stakeholders on how to manage dependencies which could impact the success of the programs.
- Get more deeply involved in areas at risk, or in need of more hands-on program/project management
- Manage effective communications to leadership and across teams to ensure accountability and timeline management.
- Responsible for identifying technical dependencies, and aligning with stakeholders on how to manage dependencies which could impact the success of the programs.
- Define and align on success criteria with relevant stakeholders. Regularly assess risks and opportunities and identify ways to mitigate
- Understand best practices, drive for process improvements, and find new ways of operating, with a focus on simplification and productivity.
- Experience developing or working directly on various aspects of large-scale ML/AI platforms. Experience with dataset generation, feature development, model testing and resource management to support the development of AI-powered product experiences.
- Good understanding of data mining and statistical analysis.
- Experience and passion for building and maintaining products leveraging AI models
- Familiar with prototype development and working with the engineering team on taking prototypes to production.
- Experience in management and requirement provision for data science teams. Provide support to the data science team in the delivery of complex data science solutions.
- Ability to decompose complex problems into subcomponents.
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line.
- Self-motivated, proactive and proven ability to adapt well and work with teams having different operating cadences.
- Sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a track record of taking ownership, leading data driven analyses, and influencing results
- Experience developing processes where little exists, and demonstrated flexibility to get things done.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment where communication with multiple groups is imperative.
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years technical project management experience or relevant experience
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.