Staff Software Engineer, Service Frameworks
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Difference You Will Make:
The service framework team’s mission is to provide the runtime for online JVM applications that are on the realtime serving path, and the interface for backend developers to interact with the runtime. When things are going well, developers at Airbnb who are working on the real-time serving path should not have to think about the runtime. It should work seamlessly while keeping Airbnb reliable, cost-efficient, and secure. As a staff engineer on this team, you will become a steward of our backend monorepo, responsible for projects such as service IDL optimization, integration testing tooling, and programming model support (e.g., sync/async).
A Typical Day:
As an engineer on Service Framework, you will work on technologies that help shape an industry-leading end to end developer experience for backend developers. In this role you will be:
- Building test frameworks to improve the confidence in rolling out large runtime changes
- Parting with Airbnb’s performance team to improve cost efficiency
- Modernizing our monorepo to use the latest versions of 3rd party languages and libraries
- Helping to shape the technical strategy that directly moves our core metrics (Developer Experience, Developer Velocity, Debuggability, Resilience and Reliability)
- Partnering with engineering leaders across all Airbnb teams for adoption of the new capabilities. Your customers will be all engineers at Airbnb.
- A player/coach of our high-performance team to ensure code quality, commitment to craft and operational excellence
- Experience working on distributed systems, API design, and concurrency
- Extensive JVM experience
- Bonus points for any of the following: instrumentation/telemetry, cloud (especially AWS) cost efficiency, L7 networking, service mesh, libraries, serialization, or developer tooling
- Want to tackle projects with large open-ended scope and drive significant business impact
- Love collaborating via product reviews, code reviews and architecture discussions
- Are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- Are excited to join an impactful infrastructure team
- 9+ years industry experience
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Proficiency in one or more back-end server languages (Java/Ruby/Go/C++/etc.)
- Experienced in architectural patterns of a high-scale distributed products/services, such as well-designed APIs, data pipelines and efficient algorithms
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product and data science partners
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more…
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.