Head of Risk & Compliance, EMEA Insurance
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join
- This role is in Airbnb Ireland Insurance Services Ltd, an insurance intermediary that is part of the Airbnb group
- You will work closely with the insurance team, as well as with partners across the wider Airbnb group.
- The Head of Risk & Compliance, EMEA Insurance role is internally known as Principal, Insurance Operations, EMEA.
The Difference You Will Make
- The insurance Head of Risk and Compliance oversees and operates the designing, managing, and monitoring of European-specific compliance procedures and policies relating to Airbnb’s European insurance business. This individual will be responsible for managing Airbnb’s compliance with the requirements of the Insurance Distribution Directive and all applicable regulatory obligations. The role-holder will require individual approval as a Pre-approval Controlled Function (PCF-12 and PCF-14) under the Fitness and Probity Regime of the Central Bank of Ireland.
A Typical Day
- Leading the risk and compliance management function for Airbnb’s European insurance business, implementing and maintaining all risk and compliance functions in accordance with regulatory requirements and industry best practices;
- Holding responsibility for developing, implementing and maintaining compliance policies, procedures and standards in accordance with all applicable insurance regulatory requirements;
- Advising management on compliance with laws and regulations including those relating to insurance distribution, consumer protection, product oversight and governance, fitness and probity;
- Building and maintaining close working relationships with the Central Bank of Ireland and other European regulators, where required, by ensuring all regulatory reporting requirements are adhered to and responding appropriately to any regulatory matters as they arise;
- Advising on compliance with cross-jurisdictional requirements, in particular, conduct of business / general good requirements of various EU Member States;
- Providing guidance, advice, training and education to improve business' understanding of relevant laws and regulatory requirements;
- Keeping up to date on issues and upcoming legislative changes affecting the Company and clearly communicating with staff, senior management, and the Company’s Board of Directors with respect to the risk and compliance matters;
- Preparing and communicating compliance and risk updates through oral and written reporting internally and externally and driving timely preparation and submission of mandatory regulatory reporting;
- Maintaining oversight and control of certain outsourced functions and ensuring the ongoing compliance of outsourced functions with the requirements of the Central Bank of Ireland.
- 15+ years of relevant experience with a significant amount of insurance intermediary experience
- Fluency in languages in addition to English are a significant advantage.
- Strongly preferred one or more of the following qualifications: Associate or Fellow of the UK Chartered Insurance Institute (ACII / FCII); b) Certified Insurance Practitioner (CIP); or c) Accredited Product Advisor (or Professional) for Personal General Insurance.
- Substantive knowledge of insurance products and the insurance marketplace, with demonstrated expertise in insurance company operations or insurance brokerage or agency management.
- Ideally, management experience, including experience in managing remotely.
- Flexibility and willingness to work with all levels of the organization, and to roll up your sleeves to get the job done
- Intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change and solving problems
- Experience creating and managing risk and compliance processes
- Ability to work both collaboratively and autonomously while prioritizing competing tasks in a fast-paced, challenging environment
- Ability to understand technology-driven businesses, communicate concisely, and influence effectively across a wide audience including regulators, Airbnb leadership, finance and product teams, and members of the legal team
- Relevant industry experience in a pre-approved control function, including PCF-12 and PCF-14, strongly preferred
- You must be based in the Republic of Ireland.