Engineering Manager, Cancellations
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Cancellation team within our Guest & Host organization owns the product and systems responsible for managing Guest, Host, and administrative cancellations on the platform. Some examples include Cancel by Guest, Guest rebooking, Aircover for Guests, and Cancel by Host flows & backing orchestration. Similar to the booking flow itself, most new Airbnb features and products interact with Cancellations, so defining and executing a strategy that enables both development speed and management of that complexity is a critical core competency for the team.
The Difference You Will Make:
As the Engineering Manager, Cancellations, you’ll lead a full stack team of talented, diverse software developers to define the strategy for how we both improve and scale this critical section of the product. This includes ownership for optimization and experimentation in support of a top level OKRs (including revenue and conversion impacting), as well as strategy for and support of critical dependencies for some of the company’s largest launches.
Our engineering managers are responsible for creating the vision and then delivering a solution that is flexible, always available, efficient, and scales with the needs of the business. Each manager brings their own unique skill set, experiences, thought leadership and technical expertise to solve these technical challenges for Airbnb.
A Typical Day:
- Lead the organizational and technical direction of our current and future reservation system infrastructure.
- Lead a robust team by attracting top talent, mentoring individuals and managing conflict.
- Nurture a culture of technical quality from design, through code review, to production.
- Collaborate with internal teams across Bookings, Payments and Trust to gain agreement by developing and communicating a clear and impactful vision and priorities for the team.
- Carefully plan, track, and report on work of the team, identifying problems early.
- 3+ years of engineering management experience, with 9+ years of relevant software development industry experience in a fast paced tech environment.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering organization
- You are a strong problem solver and have led a team that is on-call for production systems before.
- You are passionate about efficiency, availability, technical quality and system quality.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The starting base pay for this role is between $200,000 and $254,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.