Senior Staff Data Scientist - Inference, Marketing Technology
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Marketing Technology team is responsible for driving efficient and sustainable Guest and Host growth throughout the lifecycle. The team supports $XB of marketing investments across a portfolio of channels. We do this through devising data-driven marketing strategies, reliable campaign delivery platforms, and advanced ML/AI solutions. We build products that allow us to reach more audiences, improve our targeting, and optimize our bidding.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are looking for a Senior Staff Data Scientist to lead the innovation efforts to build and evolve the measurement of our marketing investment, the optimization of campaign strategies, and ML/AI powered solutions to drive higher efficiency. The role emphasizes technical excellence and driving business impact with state-of-the-art science.
The position offers the opportunity to make tremendous impacts by driving and implementing the science roadmap on an integrated system of tools for measurement, targeting and optimization. As a result, the ideal candidate will demonstrate to be a marketing research domain expert, have strong knowledge of causal inference and expertise to bring in cutting edge methodologies, and the ability to work effectively with multiple stakeholders and external vendors. In addition, a successful candidate will be able to influence these technical and non-technical partners in order to achieve the best outcome for Airbnb and its customers.
A Typical Day:
- Leverage first party and third party data and observational study methods to estimate the impact of media.
- Understand the network effect of marketing across different media.
- Develop short-term proxies for marketing’s long term impacts.
- Integrate ML/AI frontier to marketing strategy optimization.
- Develop a scalable system that powers marketing decisions in a timely and nimble manner.
- Drive new data driven strategies from ideation to alignment and implementation.
If you’re passionate about using your skills to understand and improve the impact of our brand marketing, we want to hear from you.
- Drive projects spanning multiple products and areas. Provide thought leadership to the team both strategically and technically. Be able to drive a roadmap and provide mentorship to team members.
- Proactively identifies under-invested areas with opportunities. Get resources to work on new projects. Creates a vision and structure for self, when one is not provided.
- Often present papers at top tier conferences, and/or publish in top outlets.
- Drive innovations that can potentially lead to patents.
- Influence: Drive alignments on long term data driven marketing strategy across with leadership from different organizations, cross-functional teams and external partners.
- Inference: Identify the right solution and think out of the box to tackle large, open ended, critical or foundational causal inference problems with or without known solutions, such as modeling the long term effect of marketing on brand value and equity, estimating the effect of Airbnb’s advertising mix, understanding interactions between Guest and Host marketing, supply/demand dynamics etc.
- Experimentation: Design and analyze experiments to measure the effectiveness of our digital marketing spend, addressing biases due to privacy regulations.
- Insights: Generate insights about customer segments and the company's most valuable guests to improve ad effectiveness and optimize spend.
- Communication: Work closely with a range of stakeholders to design and implement measurement of brand marketing campaigns.
- Empowerment: Think strategically about opportunities to improve and scale our brand measurement and customer insights.
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field. PhD is a plus.
- 12+ years of industry experience with a Masters, or 9+ years with a PhD.
- Domain knowledge in Marketing measurement and modeling, AI/ML solutions in marketing (i.e. Media Mix Models, Causal ML, GAI, LLM)
- Strong domain knowledge of Bayesian modeling, causal inference, experimentation and quasi-experimental methods.
- Skilled in statistical programming (Python or R) and database usage (SQL)
- Ability to solve business problems using appropriate methods and models
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional partners of varying technical levels and drive impact
- PhD in Economics, Statistics, Marketing, or related field
- Passion for marketing and consumer science; a desire to keep up with and find opportunities to apply academic research
- Deep understanding of the external marketing platforms’ systems.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Something looks off?